Food Markets / Fete's

Business By BexiB93 Updated 27 Apr 2018 , 4:12pm by havealittle

BexiB93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BexiB93 Posted 14 Apr 2018 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I live in the UK and have just started my cake business.

I have booked to do my first ever stall at a village fete in June (it is a hugely popular one in the area, with up to 3,000 people attending!) I will be selling cupcakes and tray bakes but I am stressing about how to keep all my products cool if we end up with a hot day! I am planning on displaying my cupcakes in a perspex counter unit but obviously I will have all of my other stock which I'll need to keep under the table/at the back of my stool and wonder if anyone who ofter does food markets has any advice on how to store them? 

Also, I have tried reading over and over but if anyone can advise me on the basic food hygiene that I would need to do adhere to - do I need hand washing facilities? Do the products legally have to be kept at a certain temperature? Cupcakes will be iced with butter icing (butter, icing sugar and a splash of milk.) I'll be serving the tray bakes with tongs.

Any other suggestions or advice from anyone who often runs food stalls will be so gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance,

Bex

2 replies
HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 21 Apr 2018 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 3

Hi there Bex!

I havent done many stalls, a few at bazaars here and there (I mostly do custom orders), but I'll try to give you whatever advice I can.

I usually ask the customer to select the cupcake/product they want as it avoids me having to both wear gloves while passing on food, and handling money at the same time. If you will be having help, have one person handle the money, and the other person wearing gloves for handling food. Also, I usually keep some samples out so people can see what the options are, with the rest being packaged and kept under the table (helps a little with temperature).

Also, using a mix of shortening and butter for the frosting helps keep the frosting more shelf stable. I also don't use milk when frosted items will be out for a long amount of time - water works just fine and you can barely taste any difference.

I think the tray bakes will be fine, they usually have less frosting (if any) on them then cupcakes where it is piled high and more susceptible to toppling/melting etc.

Check your local laws with respect to what is the proper protocol or regulations when selling food outdoors.

Hope this helps!

havealittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havealittle Posted 27 Apr 2018 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 3

I know when I did farmer markets, I would put my cupcakes in a cooler, I used ice packs that you use in lunch boxes, to keep the cupcakes chilled. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%