An 8", 10" And 12" Pillared Tier Cake!

Decorating By Miss.Reynolds Updated 29 Mar 2018 , 10:29pm by SandraSmiley

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 28 Mar 2018 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever attempted a separated tier cake with pillars with the cake sizes being 8", 10" and 12" in size and 5" tall each? I feel like its going to be huge, heavy and almost impossible to hold its weight on the support rods that are going to be in the cake. Here is a picture of what the bride wants. I told her I would ask my favorite people in the whole world, then I will give her an answer. ;-)

Image result for 3 tier cake with pillar

This is similar to what she is looking for. Thanks everyone!

6 replies
mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 28 Mar 2018 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 7

I have made many cakes that size .  Be sure to use plenty of  dowel rods or bubble straws to support the tiers. I would use at least 8 on the 12" and 6 on the 10". Lightly  press the cake plate 10" plate centered on the 12" to leave a faint inprint. That will show you where to put your dowels within that circle. Do the same for the next cake.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 29 Mar 2018 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much! @mahtc2016

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2018 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 7

An 8", 10" And 12" Pillared Tier Cake!The cake which started my journey into decorating was this size.  As ignorant as I was, I had no issues.  It only had one set of separators because part of the second one was lost.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Mar 2018 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 7

That cake (the picture of what the bride wants) has no additional internal support rods (dowels). It isn't a double plate system which requires support rods, but rather a single plate separator where the pillars are actually the support system. Each pillar has a floating/sliding ring that adjusts to the cake height so it looks like a pillar, but it's actually a spike that's inserted all the way through the cake to each bottom board.

There are several SPS system brands that are available -- here's an example:

https://www.wilton.com/9inch-bakers-best-disposable-pillars-with-rings/303-4001.html#q=pillar&prefn1=contentType&prefv1=shop&start=6

Miss.Reynolds Posted 29 Mar 2018 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 7

@Sandrasmiley That is such a cute cake. Im feeling a lot better about this one. @CWR41 I was wonder how there were no plates at the bottom of each pillar! That is really cool. I think I will give that a shot! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2018 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 7

Miss.Reynolds, this is an old Wilton pillar set, but I think they still make them.  The plates have little nipples that fit up inside the pillars to keep them in place.   I did use dowels inside the tiers to support the ones above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%