Fondant Figures Vs Gumpaste (Modelling Paste In Uk)

Decorating By JeffreyCOYI Updated 27 Mar 2018 , 1:32pm by caz888

JeffreyCOYI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeffreyCOYI Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 10:24am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

First post and new to decorating so i apologise if i seem a bit uneducated with all this!

I made a really nice rabbit figure from gumpaste the other day for my cake but the next day it completely sagged and now looked like a sticky fat blob. Which was disheartening as it took me 2 hours to make. But i was wondering when i re-make it. Shall I use fondant? and add tylo powder (tylose i think in the US). I left it under a cake dome overnight, not sure if that was a bad idea? But i assumed it would harden overnight but apparently not.

Also if i use fondant, shall i add the tylo powder, then leave it overnight and then make the figures? or add the powder, then make the figures straight away and hope they dry/harden? I'm not sure if my house is the issue as it's quite humid in England.

I am also making whitre fence panels to go around the cake but again the first batch made with gumpaste are still floppy, shall use fondant with tylo for these two?

And where shall i store them? 

Stressing me out a bit now as you can tell, as i am down to two days until the entire cake has to be complete.

Thanks so much for reading!

Alex

3 replies
caz888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caz888 Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 11:58am
post #2 of 4

Hi Jeffrey

I work with Sacrino Italian Modelling paste, it allows you to work for a longer time, before it hardens and it dries up really hard.  I also pop all my  characters in the linen cupboard which is warm and dries out the modelling paste quicker

All modelling pastes will work, but bear in mind the larger the character the longer it will take to dry

Cake Stuff sells Sacroino modelling paste

Not sure if you will have time, so knead some tylose powder to fondant and let it rest for 20 mins wrapped in glad wrap and make ythe character then pop it in the linen cupboard

Hope it all goes well :)

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 4

I am thinking that the humidity is causing your issues.  Have you considered buying a food dehydrator?  I have also read on here that people will use their ovens set at a very low temp or even just with the light on to add a small amount of warmth to help dry out their gumpaste figures.  You could also buy a dehumidifier and close off a section of your home as your drying room and run the dehumidifier until the pieces dry.  

Sadly humidity and cakes just don't mesh well.

caz888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caz888 Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with Freckles, humidity is an issue and I do have a dehumidifer in the Kitchen, but my linen cupboard works a dream and is now my drying cupboard 

I tried the oven method once and l melted the chararcters :(  so you will need to be careful here:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%