Bright White Drip

Decorating By mrsroy44 Updated 25 Mar 2018 , 8:22pm by -K8memphis

mrsroy44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsroy44 Posted 23 Mar 2018 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 23

Hi everyone,

I have a cake coming up this weekend and am looking to make a bright white drip ganache to complete the design. Every time I've used white chocolate/cream, it's ended up sort of yellowish. I am from a small town with very limited supplies, but I have two bags of Wilton candy melts on hand (white) and was wondering if they'd melt with cream to make a ganache I could pour, or if they'd just separate? I considered shortening, but I think they'd still dry kinda hard and make the cake difficult to cut...

What other options would there be if the melts aren't possible?

22 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Mar 2018 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 23

My first thought was Wilton Bright White Candy Melts.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 2:03am
post #3 of 23

I use candy melts for any drip cakes. 3 parts candy melt to one part cream. Melt in microwave, allow to cool to room temp. Needs stirring here and there to avoid separation. Drip on cold cake. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 23

my thoughts on the bright whiteness is that it is food and cocoa butter is a little yellow -- candy melts that you buy at the grocery store are made with shortening and can be less yellow but not a bright white -- it's food first -- my thought for you is go with the flow -- and be super careful melting -- they burn easy -- be patient -- chocolate melts in the sun so just let it do it's thing -- 

best dripping to you 

mrsroy44 Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 23

I'm going to chop up some bright white candy melts and pour the cream over to let them melt. Then cross my fingers and hope for the best!! Only the drips need to be nice since the top of the cake it going to be covered with a bunch of candies and decor.

Thanks!! I feel better about this project now!

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 23

-K8memphis, Wilton does make a candy melt that is called Bright White and it is truly white, not the creamy color of the regular white melts.  I use it for my modeling chocolate all the time,  It helps to get true colors.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 23

yeah, but I didn't think she had that -- does it list titanium dioxide in the ingredients?

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 23

Yes, -K8memphis,  they do contain titanium dioxide.  I had to check the bag.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 23

mrsroy44 I use Wal Mart's brand of white chocolate chips. I've found once I make the ganache, while ganache is still warm, I beat it vigorously. The more I beat, the whiter the ganache got. 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 23

I am not a fan of titanium dioxide nor any food color really -- but especially td -- when someone is allergic to it which is rare it's really bad  -- I just happened to know someone -- they thought they were dying -- and then my son was allergic to red food color, natural and man made --

and it wasn't a  big deal -- to me or my brides -- to be somewhat off white -- once you get into the lighting at the event it hardly matters a whit -- in my opinion -- and I always used butter and real vanilla -- so everything was off -- hahahahaha

but it seems the better, more expensive the white chocolate the more yellow it is -- but I recall I got a pretty white baker's brand white chocolate if memory serves --

I mean we deal in sugar and spice for celebrations so a little food color doesn't hurt really -- but I like to minimize it as best I can

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 12:58am
post #11 of 23

I agree, the creamy white color is lovely and the white chocolate (which isn't really chocolate) is much more yummy than candy melts.  I use the candy melts for modeling chocolate and none of my sculptures are ever eaten, so it is not an issue.  I wouldn't have given a thought to using the Bright White Candy Melts for a drip, though.  Good thing I don't make cakes for the public!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 1:06am
post #12 of 23

well most of us can tolerate food color -- 

jchuck Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 1:22am
post #13 of 23

Well K8memphis/Sandra really when you use the white chocolate chips for ganache drip. The drip on a coloured bc cake looks white. I doubt anyone could truly tell it wasn't white. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 1:44am
post #14 of 23

true

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 1:47am
post #15 of 23

i had a boss want me to matchy matchy off white ivories -- yeah, no so sorry -- we decided on dark or light ivory blush 

jchuck Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 2:02am
post #16 of 23

Ha Ha..matchy matchy..too funny. It's cake people, not sewing a dress!!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 12:36pm
post #17 of 23

high five, jchuck

jchuck Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 12:48pm
post #18 of 23

K8memphis I had a friend that drove me caaarazy!!! Everything had to match. Dress, shoes, earrings..omg! She dragged me pillar to post. And buying furnishings for her home, geez, don't get me started!!! My Mom was an amazing seamstress and dressmaker. She taught me if you can't get an exact match (obviously material in an outfit), you use the opposite and corresponding colour.  Works for cakes too!! Another great tool are colour cards from the paint store. Create great pallates with them.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 1:34pm
post #19 of 23

good stuff, jchuck -- and when it comes to the final colors that get in the pictures -- if the tablecloth or curtains are red that reflects back into the icing -- everything changes everything when it's those light light colors -- the plateau often reflects back up the cake -- so whatever colors are closest can reflect up for a variety of colors on the cake -- tons of stuff -- 

mrsroy44 Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 2:00pm
post #20 of 23

This is the cake I'm going to be making...I think they used Wilton colour burst melts. I'm going to give the bright white melts a try and see what I can come up with :) Thanks so much everyone!!

Bright White Drip

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 6:15pm
post #21 of 23

Cute cake and it does look like Wilton's Bright White with sprinkles...or whatever they are.

jchuck Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 6:38pm
post #22 of 23

Absolutely as you posted K8memphis!! I can get Wilton candy melts at Michael’s here. I don’t particularly like them. I confess, I’ve never looked to see if have colour burst candy melts??

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 8:22pm
post #23 of 23

my grocery store sells the same color candy melts -- no worries -- I don't get wilton's -- I get the stuff from the store -- same same -- but there's no titanium dioxide

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%