Conciderations When Stacking A Unique Cake

Baking By shdvl Updated 26 Mar 2018 , 8:08pm by theresaf

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 22 Mar 2018 , 6:24am
post #1 of 12

My son picked Super Mario for his birthday theme. My problem is the unique style of cake he wants as the second tier. The bottom tier is a square RKT base with different levels decorating the sides. The top level is a one-up mushroom. The middle tier he wants is a "piñata" cake that's the question mark boxes which while playing give you power ups and gold coins, filled with gold coins to give to his friends after the cake is cut.  I am trying to offset the mushroom to minimize the weight directly on top of the center of middle tier. How can I add enough support or lessen the weight (RKT mushroom?) so the surprise tier does not collapse prematurely? plus anyone have good sturdy banana cake recipe. If your not a fan of Mario most people don't know he first appeared in Nintendo Donkey Kong video game. We  are paying tribute to that with banana cake with chocolate ganache if I can find a recipe for the cake. Most recipes I found have keywords like fluffy, moist, delicate describing them. While I can work around moist the words fluffy and delicate don't give me confidence while building a cube of cake with the center out of most of it.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2018 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 12

I would use a set up with a top & bottom acrylic plates and the one acrylic  tube up the middle for the gold coin cake -- very secure -- no worries -- the tube is only 1.5" -- don't know how big you're making this -- but you can get as small as a 6" plate -- you can use a bigger plate on the bottom if you want for even more stability -- just whatever works on the top of the rkt cake -- you can cut the tube to the length you need -- maybe something like that -- or just plain sps would work too --

these are available elsewhere too -- it says the smallest is 8" but the 6" is in the list too so -- 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 23 Mar 2018 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 12

I dont know for the structure of your cake, Never done something that complex. For the banana cake recipe, this one is my absolute favorite of all time. Yes it is moist, but I would not describe it as fluffy or delicate. It is not super dense either as a banana bread could be. Well, to me it is just perfect! 

It's the recipe given by @Mbalaska in the post #7. The "Best ever banana pudding cake".

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/778778/best-ever-banana-pudding-cake-recipe

You can omit the freezer thing if you prefer. Cake is very good even without it!

Now I want banana cake....

shdvl Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 3:48am
post #4 of 12

Ohh goody I just noticed that I got bananas ready for baking into bread or cake. I might have to try it tomorrow.

Quote by @Laetia on 5 hours ago

I dont know for the structure of your cake, Never done something that complex. For the banana cake recipe, this one is my absolute favorite of all time. Yes it is moist, but I would not describe it as fluffy or delicate. It is not super dense either as a banana bread could be. Well, to me it is just perfect! 

It's the recipe given by @Mbalaska in the post #7. The "Best ever banana pudding cake".

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/778778/best-ever-banana-pudding-cake-recipe

You can omit the freezer thing if you prefer. Cake is very good even without it!

Now I want banana cake....

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 10:05am
post #5 of 12

That banana cake rocks! It is delicious! You will love it :-)

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 12

but thinking about this more -- you need to make at least an 8" cake to use the acrylic tube in the middle thing or there won't hardly be enough room for the coins -- but just off top of my head i'd think at least a 10" would do best -- but depends on the size of your coins and all the other proportions

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 12

oh I forgot to post the link and while i'm at it  -- if you use the code discount15 you get a 15% discount

https://www.efavormart.com/search?q=acrylic+plate

and if you scroll down you will see the link for the tube

shdvl Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 3:29am
post #8 of 12

K8memphis, due  t  coin size I can find and the amount I putting in I was going to a 12 in size at least. plus easy for me to calculate how many layers of cake I need to use to obtain the cube shape. Thanks for the link, was going to ask but got distracted when answering posts.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 12

perfect then if you go that way -- it's very secure

pictures pictures pictures blush

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 12

I don't have a recipe to share but I have made many "pinata" type cakes - the last being a bag of (chocolate coin) money for my nephew.  A pound cake is the most stable kind of cake to me when you are hollowing out the middle.   Because the cake is less structurally sound with a giant hole in the middle even when it's filled with goodies.  Fondant definitely helps keep the shape together, too.  While a pound cake can be flavored as well but I'm sure not as much as something called the ultimate banana cake (!) but you can put bananas between the layers or a banana pudding between the layers.

Sounds like a fun project!

Theresa

shdvl Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks Theresa for the information. Originally it was going to be chocolate which is my son's favorite cake flavor and have one up mushrooms that are vanilla. Maybe I should go back to that plan. Will see after I bake the banana cake today. Worse thing that will happen is I got a good banana cake recipe for my husband who like one of the local chain store's banana cake.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 12

There's nothing wrong with a cake-experiment shdvl!  There are many worse things than having an extra cake ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%