Shipment And Break Of Wedding Cake

Business By angerueda Updated 13 Mar 2018 , 1:01pm by sylly

angerueda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angerueda Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone, I'm at a crossroads and I do not know how to act to be fair. I made a beautiful wedding cake, I took the picture, the package was packed to our delivery van, and arriving at the place 1 hour away, a truck with drunk driver hit the truck and collapsed a floor of the cake. the driver almost overturned and was left unconscious by the blow for a few moments.  

We never had anything like it, I did not want to bother a girlfriend but I had to do it because the cake was ruined, I would have to go back to the store to see how to repair it and get sent back, 3 hours minimum .. the wedding was almost to begin , she got very upset and said she fixes the two floors that you said are saved and the other mandala in a box to distribute from the kitchen to the guests.

the cake left but the new driver did not know if he could not find the address and the gps sent him to another place, he had to communicate 3 times with the brother of the bride to coordinate, she alleges psychological damage and stress, the slow cake to arrive 20 minutes longer than expected, with 2 decorated levels and to display and a boxed floor to be served.

The girlfriend has written to me that she wants her money back and the truth is that she should make a re-payment, but what would be the right thing ?? I lost a lot of money with the two shipments and the crash of the truck because the truck escaped, I have a license employee because I am fractured and I do not have so much money to cover the whole cake plus damages, which can advise me thank you very much

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 3

first of all -- I hope your driver is better and will recover fully -- and i'm very sorry this happened -- very very unfortunate --

if I understand correctly -- this was a hit and run and the driver that hit you got away -- do you have insurance that provides coverage for uninsured motorist (the one that hit you and ran off)? coverage for uninsured driver?

I wish the bride was more understanding -- but I would refund the full amount and let her go away -- she won't get any more than that even if she sues you which would be very bad karma for her -- also -- you do NOT have to listen to her if she wants to be ugly -- just quietly say i'm hanging up now good bye -- the bride does not get to beat you up with her words -- just kindly say no --

what do you mean she should make re-payment? do you mean the bride should pay your friend for supplying the second cake?

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 13 Mar 2018 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 3

I am so sorry this happened to you- I hope everyone is ok now and can start to heal.

Do you have business insurance? Mine covers a certain amount for damages to property, like the cake and other things associated with the business. Your personal car insurance might cover that as well. 

As for the bride, I would give her the money back and walk away from it.  I have taken classes and read case studies on this very subject so that I would know my role in case something like this happens.  At the end of the day, when I choose to deliver the cake, I take responsibility for the cake until I set it on the table.  If something happens to the cake, my job is to do whatever it takes not to ruin the client's event.  It sounds like you did that and she had cake to serve at her wedding, but it wasn't the cake she asked for and it wasn't in the condition she expected.  She deserves her money back and she deserves to be upset. That doesn't mean you have to take abuse from her, but you should be understanding. It's not your fault, and it's unfortunate when accidents happen, but the responsibility falls on the owner. 

I would consider this a loss, no matter how much I would like some of my money recovered. The truth of the matter is that she wasn't responsible for the transportation, the extra set of hands to fix it, or the second delivery.  Sucks, but it's true.

I hope you can recover from this. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%