What Other Cake Besides Mud Cake Lasts Well During Decorating Through To Day Of Use.

Baking By seamusis20 Updated 16 Apr 2018 , 1:08am by SandraSmiley

seamusis20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seamusis20 Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 11:47am
post #1 of 13

I usually cook my cake on a Wednesday  afternoon/evening. I make the ganache ready for use the next day.

I then layer, fill & crumb coat & top coat with ganache on a Thursday. I then apply the Fondant on the Friday and apply any decorations to it ready for use on a Saturday. Now if the cake is made on the Wednesday but not used till the Saturday what type of cake have you used that hasn’t gone stale before the party?

Any advice on this please?

12 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 13

Most pound cake recipes are better the longer they sit, so are perfect for what you are looking for.  The texture is a little dense, which makes them great for carving and stacking.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 13

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but kakeladi's Original WASC is always delightfully moist and stays fresh for days.  Why not keep the cake refrigerated until you are ready to apply the fondant (securely wrapped or ganached, of course) and that will help with extending the shelf life.

seamusis20 Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you Cutiger and SandraSmiley.

seamusis20 Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 2:17am
post #5 of 13

I am after a carrot cake or zucchini cake sort of thing that i can decorate with fondant. I ha e never used this type of cake before and would like to challenge myself providing it stays fresh. I would use a creamed cheese ganache. Anyone done anything like this?

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 4:02am
post #6 of 13

One of the tiers, the largest, bottom tier in fact, of this cake is carrot cake.  I used cream cheese frosting to fill, but it is covered in white ganache.

What Other Cake Besides Mud Cake Lasts Well During Decorating Through To Day Of Use.

seamusis20 Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 13

Wow Sandra,

thats a tower.

seamusis20 Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 13

How far in advance was the carrot cake ganached ? May I ask?

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 3:00am
post #9 of 13

I made the cakes about a week in advance and froze them.  They were ganached the same day they were removed from the freezer and thawed.  I already had all the decorations made, so I ganached one day, decorated the next, and delivered the cake the third day.  So, I guess it was two days prior to serving.

seamusis20 Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 5:27am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for that. I’d be ganaching Thursday, decorating Friday and party is on Saturday. I will be using carrot cake in the future to but this time I’ll decorate an owl (Hoot) on TV in Aus. Most of.my work is family related. I just keep being blessed with more grandchildren and I’m such a perfectionist.

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 13

Congrats on the TV show!!  Keep us  posted.  Hopefully we will be able to se it!

seamusis20 Posted 16 Apr 2018 , 12:01am
post #12 of 13

I didn’t decorate the cake for the TV show Sandra. I was just trying to explain that “Hoot” is a child’s character that my 2 yr old grandson likes very much.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Apr 2018 , 1:08am
post #13 of 13

Oh, I'm sorry seamusis20.  I misunderstood your post.  I know your Hoot was adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%