Revisiting Sweetex

Decorating By lily2 Updated 16 Mar 2018 , 2:52pm by lily2

lily2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lily2 Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 10

I am debating on which Sweetex (or any hi-ratio shortening) to purchase and looking for a little professional guidance.  I am hoping for a good stable base for icing. Since the whole transfat debacle I’m always on the lookout for a reasonable replacement.  Thanks for any help out there!

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 10

I am stilll using Sweetex from a 50 pound box purchased a couple of years go, so it is probably a different formula than what is available today.  I divided it into five pound blocks and froze all but one portion, which was left in the pantry for use.  It keeps well in the freezer.

lily2 Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 10

Oh, so you have the good stuff! That’s what I need but I am sure that’s not available anymore. I’ve read old threads when the big switch happened but am not sure which one to purchase since maybe they have changed yet again. Golden Flex and Palm flex? Thanks for your response Sandra 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 10

I have heard some folks say that one of the Walmart brands still contains transfats, but I have not been able to find it.

lily2 Posted 4 Mar 2018 , 3:38am
post #5 of 10

My Wal-Mart has stopped, too. I have not been able to find it anywhere. Even my Aldi stopped. 

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 6 Mar 2018 , 3:55am
post #6 of 10

I recently bought the new Sweetex at my local cake store. It worked great. I can’t tell the difference. 

lily2 Posted 6 Mar 2018 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 10

Well great to hear! Did you get the Golden Flex or Palm sweetex? 

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 6 Mar 2018 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 10

I’m not sure, it doesn’t really say. They wrap it in white parchment paper. I had asked if it was the new and they said it was. 

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:47am
post #9 of 10

I had a nice conversation with a regional Stratas food manager.   Stratus is the maker of Sweetex. He suggests purchasing Golden Flex Icing Shortening as the replacement for our beloved  Sweetex. Not the cake and icing shortening. Check the box to make sure it says “icing shortening”. He said might need to add a bit more liquid and or some meringue powder. Give the Stratas customer service folks a call. Very helpful and if the person on the phone can’t answer your question they should refer you to someone in sales. 

lily2 Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Kim! That’s exactly what I was looking to hear. I appreciate it! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%