Cupcakes Made Ahead Of Time!?

Baking By Courtneyscreations2011 Updated 1 Mar 2018 , 4:02pm by jchuck

Courtneyscreations2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 6

So I have another question for you guys! I have 50 cupcakes do along with a two-tier cake for Saturday, I’m going to do the cake tomorrow. But when would be a good time to start the cupcakes so they could be done and out-of-the-way? They will be ice with buttercream? Any suggestions thanks!

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 6

I guess it depends upon how you plan to decorate the cupcakes, but my first thought was to bake them today, pop them in the freezer, then when you've finished decorating the cake, defrost the cupcakes and put a quick swirl on top.  Your can even freeze them already frosted, if you prefer.

Courtneyscreations2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah I’m just doing a swirl on top and that’s it. How long do you think they need to be out of the freezer before I ice them? 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 6

I rarely make cupcakes, but I let my cake layers defrost for a couple of hours.  That should be sufficent or you could take them out the night before.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother freezing the cupcakes.  I would bake them, let them cool, place them in an airtight container with a layer of cling wrap to cover the tops (just as an extra precaution to keep them from drying out) and then add the swirl of buttercream tomorrow after you are finished your cake.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with Freckles0829 Being that this is 3 days before due date, I’d bake and leave in an airtight container as she stated. Just sit container in a cool area. I  personally wouldn’t cover cupcakes with anything, cling film, wax paper etc. Will make the cupcakes sweat.  There already protected from drying out by being in a container. I’ve baked cupcakes and stored in a container up to 4 days and then iced them. Perfectly fine, still lovely and moist. If I’ve had a lot to make, baked and froze up to a month before. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%