Baking && Decorating Cakes In Advance?

Baking By Courtneyscreations2011 Updated 27 Feb 2018 , 7:07pm by Courtneyscreations2011

Courtneyscreations2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 5

Okay,  so I have two cake orders due this weekend on Saturday! My original plan was to bake cakes Thursday, wrap those up, then Friday decorate all day. How early in advance do you guys bake and decorate and finish your cakes? One cake will just be a two-tier buttercream covered cake, the other one will be a two-tier fondant cake with fondant decoration? If I baked on Wednesday and then decorated on Thursday would they still be OK for Saturday? Advice please! Thank you

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 5

I bake Thursday, make butter cream Thurs, decorate Friday. Depending on decorations, they're made earlier in the week, if not weeks before (like a bunch of flowers, tiara, etc).  I have baked on Wed, decorated Thurs, and consumed the cake on Saturday and it was fine taste wise. As long as you keep it in a cake box, it will be ok. 

Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 5

The cake boxes I have are just the cardboard ones, there will be an open spot. But I’m just worried I don’t want the cake to dry out or anything which it shouldn’t because it will be sealed by the buttercream and fondant  fondant. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 5

I would probably bake Wednesday and once cooled wrap well in cling wrap.  Then Thursday I would make my buttercream and frost and cover the one cake in fondant.  Then Friday I would finish decorating the fondant cake and completely frost/decorate the buttercream cake.  That way Saturday morning you can do any touch ups that may be necessary.

You can always make a simple syrup and sprinkle that onto the cakes prior to frosting/layering to add a touch of moisture if them drying out is concerning.  But they should be just fine once covered in frosting/fondant.

Courtneyscreations2011 Posted 27 Feb 2018 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the advice everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%