Dry Strawberry Cake

Baking By sweetdreamzz Updated 3 Mar 2018 , 6:01pm by Baker Beach

sweetdreamzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreamzz Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 11

i have this recipe and it taste amazing but because i place cheesecake between the layers and it has to be refrigerated  it gets dry. when you first make it it is not as dry. Also i is more dense than I would like it to be.  the pic of the recipe looks  ways less dense,nice and fluffy(how i want it). Again the flavor is perfect but the texture is no good. should i try just egg whites, or the traditional creaming method ? idk what  i have done differently ( other than  the fact that i use canola oil and make my strawberry puree by blending fresh strawberries with a little sugar vs using frozen strawberries )  . i have no issues with my other cake recipes  similar to please help.

https://www.mycakeschool.com/recipes/strawberry-scratch-recipe/ Amazing homemade Strawberry Cake Recipe by MyCakeSchool.com! Wonderful strawberry flavor and ultra moist! Recipe by MyCakeSchool.com!mine 383585-400x300.png?1519420616383586-400x300.png?1519420742

10 replies
youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 11

It might be over mixed, if you are mixing in a stand mixer after you add the dry ingredients instead of mixing in the stand mixer do it by hand with a rubber spatula.  Just until it is mixed. Good luck.

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 11

It might be over mixed, if you are mixing in a stand mixer after you add the dry ingredients instead of mixing in the stand mixer do it by hand with a rubber spatula.  Just until it is mixed. Good luck.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 11

butter makes previously chilled cakes seem dry when brought to room temp because the butter stays cold -- switch to the frozen berries and see if it makes a difference -- they have less body than fresh ones --

strange little things in baking can make huge differences 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 11

yeah because I read the recipe again and it uses a non-cooked puree -- frozen strawberries are real limp when they are defrosted so it's a different composition kwim I mean might not make any difference but my rule of thumb is do it like it's written at least one time --

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 11

I have found this to make a beautiful light and fluffy flavorful strawberry cake which is not dry at all.  I have not layered it with cheesecake, but have frozen and chilled it without a problem.  

Use your favorite white cake recipe that makes 2 8" or 9" layers.  replace 2-4 Tbsp of the sugar with strawberry jello powder.  (optional, but gives that lovely pink color).  at the end, stir a heaping cup of finely chopped freeze dried (not just dried) strawberries, including all the fine powdery bits into the batter.  Add a tsp of strawberry extract if desired.  

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 11

I was on a mission a few years ago to find a good scratch strawberry cake, and found that those that added purees, concentrates, or fresh fruit always ended up, for me, being flavorless, dense, and not a very pretty color.  Somewhere I read about freeze dried strawberries, which sent me in a much better direction and I eventually found the above to be a good rule of thumb since most folks have a good white cake recipe to work from.  HTH

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 1:18am
post #8 of 11

Frozen berries are limp because when they freeze the water in the cells expand and break the cell wall, when they are defrosted the cell walls no longer have the structure to hold them up well so they droop.

I think the overall water content should be the same but freezing cakes does seem to make them moister so I guess it could make a difference?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2018 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 11

good answer, bubs1stb -- the water content is the same -- yes but the structure of fresh strawberry is very firm which is the texture op wants to avoid in her cake --  and the structure of the previously frozen one is limp and light which she's seeking the lighter texture -- so that's a big answer to your dilemma, sweetdreamzz --

you can see the color is off too -- frozen strawberries are the right ones for this recipe

my strawberry cake recipe uses fresh strawberries but they are cut into bits not pureed -- and it's got strawberry jello too --

but this is a viable recipe just need the frozen

sweetdreamzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreamzz Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 11

so i made a cake with using frozen strawberries  seemed to be a little better but when it settled i seems to stay not as moist as id like. i made sure i didn't intermix ,or overcook,and i even froze one to see the result. i wiil be trying a new recipe as i am not happy with the texture of this one. its weird because a few people  also complained about thisissue as i look at the responses to this recipe.

Quote by @-K8memphis on 6 days ago

good answer, bubs1stb -- the water content is the same -- yes but the structure of fresh strawberry is very firm which is the texture op wants to avoid in her cake --  and the structure of the previously frozen one is limp and light which she's seeking the lighter texture -- so that's a big answer to your dilemma, sweetdreamzz --

you can see the color is off too -- frozen strawberries are the right ones for this recipe

my strawberry cake recipe uses fresh strawberries but they are cut into bits not pureed -- and it's got strawberry jello too --

but this is a viable recipe just need the frozen

Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 11

This is a late response, but what about using a chiffon strawberry cake? I use chiffon for any cakes with whipped cream or mousse fillings and they stay very moist even when chilled. To make a nice strawberry (or Guava) flavor I make a purée from The Cake Bible and also use a little strawberry extract. The cake also stays a pretty pink. (I have found The Cake Book by Tish Boyle has a great starting point for chiffon cakes.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%