Glitter Frosting

Decorating By MamaBunkie28 Updated 19 Feb 2018 , 11:54pm by maybenot

MamaBunkie28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBunkie28 Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 3:29am
post #1 of 3

Has anyone made frosting with glitter IN it? I'm not talking about luster dust on top, but an edible glitter in the frosting. A local bakery has done it on their cakes so I know it can be done, I doubt if I ask them they'll tell me how they do it haha or they buy it in bulk from a supplier. 

Thanks

2 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 3

Are you sure it is the edible glitter (often made with gelatin) they are using or are they just using "non-toxic" disco?

Hard to tell you without a photo to help the rest of us...

If it is just the "non-toxic" disco, you just add it to your buttercream till you get the look you desire... Not necessarily good eats... I wouldn't want to eat the glitter we used in elementary school craft projects... but everyone has their own choices...

if it is the edible glitter, I would imagine the process is the same...

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 3

If you know of a bakery that is putting plastic glitter in their icing, or on ANY food product, you need to call the health department and turn them in.  That's disgusting and it's deliberate adulteration of food.

Most edible glitters deteriorate very quickly when exposed to moisture.  Some that are made a carboxy methyl cellulose or cornstarch will hold up better.  That said, no edible glitter will look exactly like die cut, sharp edged, metal coated, plastic craft glitter [disco dust].

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%