Why Australia's Whipping Cream Is Not White?

Baking By lewis0212 Updated 19 Feb 2018 , 2:48am by SandraSmiley

lewis0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lewis0212 Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 8:12am
post #1 of 12

Hi, I'm living is Australia and I love baking too. 

I'm just wondering Why is Australia whipped cream products arent White? 

It supposed to be white not like THIS COLOR.  

And also the texture is different. I cannot icing a cake beautifully and perfectly. 

I used to live Korea and Japan, they have a perfect white whipped cream product so i could make a beautiful cake. 

Why Australia's Whipping Cream Is Not White? This is the cake that  i expect.

Can anyone tell why Australia's cream is not white? and also tell me where i can buy is (not spray one) 

11 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 11:33am
post #2 of 12

Milk and cream are not naturally white.

If you have been getting pure white then I am not sure what they do to it to give you a pure white colour.

If you have a kids petting farm near you that has a cow that can be milked you should head there and have a go, you will be able to see what the natural colour of milk is.

When you separate cream into the solids (butter) and liquids (buttermilk) the butter is very yellow and the buttermilk (which is delicious by the way :-) ) is pretty white so I assume that the fats in the milk/cream give it the off white colour.

I am interested to hear what explanation people have for the reason cream is white in other countries.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 12

I have a guess on that one, but first I have to say that I have absolutely no farm experience and never went to Australia either. This is pure guess based on a absolutely non-scientific observation!

From what I've seen in Australian TV show, the cream actualy seems to be a little more off-white than what I'm used to in Canada. I've also notice a diffrence of color in egg yolks. They certainly appear a lot more orange in Australia. This difference in color seems major.

My guess is that it might have someting to do with either the breed of the animal or what they are fed with. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 12

she is talking about whipped cream products like Rich's and products like that -- because you can't ice anything smoothy smooth with whipped cream

I don't know why it's not white -- have you tried more than one?

bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 12

The only whipped cream that isn't actually whipped cream that I know of over here comes in a squirty tin, and although it is fun to spray in to your mouth (and try to avoid choking on as it puffs up haha) it very quickly deflates.

You could try using gelatine stabilised whipped cream

or a 'mock cream' recipe which would be pretty white but I think most people would be disappointed on buying a cream filled cake to find mock cream. 

The gelatine stabilised cream will be reasonably smooth though you will of course have visable air bubbles but the taste is far better when compared to mock cream. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 12

do you guys have "cool whip" a frozen whipped topping that you let defrost and you can ice stuff with -- or rich's bettercreame that is a liquid version of the cool whip -- that you defrost and whip up?

I like the term "squirty tin" :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 12:24am
post #7 of 12

I agree with everyone, real cream is .....well, cream colored, a pale golden, not white.  I grew up on a farm milking cows and making butter and cream is definitely not pure white.  Like -K8memphis said, I am thinking the "cream" to which you were accustomed was not really cream at all.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 12:39am
post #8 of 12

When I google whip cream products in Australia that Rich's site pops up but from looking at it, it certainly isn't cream (it's listed as Vegan) lol and I have never seen it in a shop, I am guessing it's something the bigger bakeries use perhaps.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 1:24am
post #9 of 12

Squirty tin of whipped cream. Cafe's and the like use them to top iced coffee/iced chocolate but the after taste is like pure chemical mmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm hahah.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 1:36am
post #10 of 12

When I read the "squirty tin" description and how it affects one when squirted into the mouth, I would have sprayed wine all over my screen, if I had been drinking!  So funny, bubs1stbirthday!

bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 2:30am
post #11 of 12

Lol, it's something that is often pulled out of people's fridges after a few too many drinks.... people take turns having it squirted in their mouths (I hang out with a country crowd so anything goes as long as no one is going to die haha), try to swallow faster than it goes it but it puffs up and the chances of choking on it are pretty high lol.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 2:48am
post #12 of 12

I've seen people do it, that's why it was so funny.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%