How To Thicken Cherry Filling

Baking By Sbee124 Updated 11 Feb 2018 , 4:58pm by -K8memphis

Sbee124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sbee124 Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 5:58am
post #1 of 7

I made Martha Stewart’s black cherry filling which I’m filling cupcakes with it but it doesn’t seem thick enough, the recipe was 

2lbs frozen black cherries

1/2 cup sugar 

3 Tbs kirsch (cherry flavored brandy) 

2 Tbs cornstarch

Let the cherries thaw, drain the juice into a sauce pan, add the rest of the ingredients, whisk until combined, let cook until ingredients are thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the syrup to the cherries. 

I did this with six pounds of cherries and I made sure all the other measurements matched but the filling seems too thin. How can I thicken this up in order to make a good filling for cupcakes so that they don’t get super soggy? Thank you. 

6 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 6:06am
post #2 of 7

Could you try cooking it down?

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 6:19am
post #3 of 7

I would add a little more cornstarch and cook it again. Let it reduce down and it should thicken up as it cools. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 7

you need to boil it with the cherries a bit because the cherries hold a lot of juice that hasn't been thickened with  the starch -- you're adding them after it's cooked according to the directions and you're adding in a bunch of loose juice -- ha! rhymes --  but you need to firm it up -- like you already know

-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 7

i say boil -- i mean simmer for two minutes

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Feb 2018 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 7

I agree that you need to cook the mixture down some more.  If it is still not thick enough to suit you, add another tablespoon of cornstarch.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2018 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 7

yes but a little more simmer/boil after the cherries are added

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%