Pasturizing Egg Whites For Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By sweettooth59 Updated 13 Feb 2018 , 11:18pm by MBalaska

sweettooth59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth59 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 13

Good morning ....I've got a challenge this morning hoping to get some advice please...so not able to put my hands on a carton of pasteurize egg whites so I'm doing it on my own...question....while heating the egg white is cooking so the cooked whites are forming...what am I doing wrong???

thanks

Sharlaine

12 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 13

You didn't say exactly how you are heating the whites,  but for smbc add the sugar to the whites, whisk frequently while warming the mixture in a double boiler (or I just put a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water).  Continue until hot to the touch and the sugar has dissolved, at least 140 degrees F.  I always heat to between 155 and 160 to be sure and have never had the whites "cook".  The sugar keeps the albumin from coagulating.  If pasteurizing without sugar, slowly warm whole eggs in the shell in a pot of water until it gets to 140 - 142 degrees F.  Cook at this temperature for 3 minutes.  Hotter than that and it will cook the eggs.  rinse eggs in cold water to stop the cooking.  HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 13

oh i whisk continuously -- when i made it

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 13

and you'll never get it to temp if you don't have a tight fit on your double boiler

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 13

Whisking continuously is what all the recipes say, but I have made it so many times and over the years have learned that it is no problem to step away intermittently.  Wash a dish, measure something else, etc. I would say I whisk about 50% of the time, until the last 10 degrees then continuously.  But 100% of the time is by the book!  I have made SMBC with the carton pasteurized egg whites and still heat it to dissolve the sugar, so convenience vs cost.  I also think fresh tastes a bit better and whips up fluffier, but not sure that matters since it deflates when the butter is added anyway.  You will find what works for you.  Good luck!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 13

mine would turn into a sweet omelette -- but I have the fire up all the way too -- done in about five minutes

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 13

agreed Yortma: egg whites from the shell are much cheaper, taste a bit better, and whip up a touch better.  I only use the pasteurized carton egg whites on occasion.   The FDA recommends that egg whites should be heated to 160 f. for safety.  It's pretty easy to do with a good thermometer, a few extra minutes on the double boiler and gentle continuous stirring. 

MBalaska Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 13

Sharlaine, where are you that you can't get carton egg whites?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 13

I have definitely cooked mine more than once too lol. 

I now constantly whisk mine once they have started to warm, until they feel hot and the sugar is dissolved (mine are only for my family so I don't stress too much).

I heat mine in a pot that is the same size as the pot that I have the water in.

By the time they are done the egg whites are already looking a bit 'whipped' and fluffy in the pan.

sweettooth59 Posted 11 Feb 2018 , 2:24am
post #10 of 13

Hi and thank you for the responses...busy few days and had to make alternative buttercream (American) until I sorted smbc Out.

ok....live on a small island in the Bahamas so Pasturized whites aren't always available.

I whipped the egg whites in a double boiler and whipped it too much so it was no longer liquified so I dumped it cause it had cooked the egg whites with the eggs.

So did it again this time on a lower temperature and stirred it constantly but as the temperature rose it stated to have cooked eggs swimming on top ....so would have to strain it before pouting it into the bowl for bixing

Sharlaine

sweettooth59 Posted 11 Feb 2018 , 2:39am
post #11 of 13

Oops...I meant that it had become so coagulated when whipping the egg whites and sugar so I dumped it.

Sharlaine 

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 12 Feb 2018 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 13

I've never had the egg whites cook and I've used both fresh and carton egg whites. I whisk the whites and sugar together in a a metal bowl, then snug that bowl into the top of a pot of simmering (no longer boiling) water and stir constantly with a small silicone spatula until the mixture hits 140-160. Never had a problem with solid matter. :-) And any foam on top disappears once you start whipping it with your mixer.

I think the key is to keep the water in the bottom of whatever type of double boiler or bain marie-type apparatus you're using at a constant low temperature simmer.

MBalaska Posted 13 Feb 2018 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 13

www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/egg-products-preparation/egg-products-and-food-safety/ct_index

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%