Customer Can't Take A Hint

Business By rshippo Updated 13 Feb 2018 , 8:50pm by -K8memphis

rshippo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rshippo Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 11

I have a customer (who is a wedding planner)who I do not want to do items for anymore. She is beyond picky, whatever I do isn't good enough I have had to add extra decorations.  I have tried communicating everything with her but I always end up losing money on her orders.   Also it got to the point where I began doubting myself.

So I decide next time she asked I would be booked. Worked a charm last year. Now she is back again can you do this date my response sorry Im booked.  Her can you do next week.  Again sorry I'm booked.  Now she wants to know when I'm next available. I can't say never 

short of telling her I don't want to make items for you how do I get rid of her ??  I'm at a loss of how to do it politely. 

Any advice would be appreciated 

10 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe you could tell her that at this stage you are only wanting to do cakes where you deal directly (and only) with the person who is actually getting married when it comes to wedding cakes and not looking to take on any cakes from third party persons such as wedding planners.

Short of that , hard as it is sometimes the truth works best, that you find her to be difficult to work with and no longer will you be accepting orders from her. Yep it is hard to tell the truth in these situations but at least you will be over and done with her. For a moments uncomfortableness you will avoid all the stress of trying to put her off constantly.

rshippo Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks For the advice. It's cookies I'm making for her. I'm thinking the truth might be best.  She always claims she is happy afterwards. But the stress and loss of money (in time) it causes me isn't worth it at all for me anymore. 

rshippo Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks For the advice. It's cookies I'm making for her. I'm thinking the truth might be best.  She always claims she is happy afterwards. But the stress and loss of money (in time) it causes me isn't worth it at all for me anymore. 

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with bugs. You could tell her that, due to past experiences, you now only deal directly with the client. I’ve learned to deal directly with the client myself, especially brides, through negative experiences with 3rd parties.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 1:58am
post #6 of 11

I do not consider it rude or impolite for you to tell her the truth.  Tell her that you have been unable to satisfy her requirements without a lot of rework and that you feel she would be a better fit with another baker.  End of discussion.  

rshippo Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the advice. I went with a polite version of the truth (what I wanted to say is you are crazy and I don't want to work with you leave me alone) which from her response was what she wanted.  

what I sent her

Due to increase in demanding clients.  I will be unable to do cookies for you at the moment.  We have had communication issues in the past and I don't feel I can currently give you the proper level of customer service that you as a client deserve.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.   I hope we can do business again in the future  

Her response

Thank you Finally for your truthfulness this is the response I have been waiting for instead of you brushing me off with untruth. When I purchase things as a professional I expect to get what I pay for. Thank you again for talent. Wish you much success in future with your pastry business. No love lost Strictly a professional.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 11

Nicely done, rshippo.  Now the two of you can go your separate ways without further grief.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 11

It is obvious from her answer, that she is hopeless and good riddance. My favorite line is..."get what I pay for." You want to slap her upside her head and say, "I want to be fairy compensated for my time and talent." But silence is best, I am sure. Let her bug someone else...

OHaresTstyTrts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OHaresTstyTrts Posted 13 Feb 2018 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 11

She sent you a pretty garbage response. But I'm glad it worked out for you. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2018 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 11

wow -- that was quite uncool -- her response i mean -- she knew she was getting brushed off and persisted till you told her blabla so now she is all satisfied 'cause you brushed her off --

i agree with ohareststytrts -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%