Help! I Made A Mistake With My Ganache!

Baking By chandaje Updated 4 Feb 2018 , 11:41pm by Cher2309b

chandaje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chandaje Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 2:04am
post #1 of 6

So, I made ganache for the first time today. It turned out ok with consistency, texture, and shininess. My problem started when I checked the taste. It wasn't sweet at all and it had an almost bitter taste to it. I might blame lack of sleep, but I didn't think my next step through at all! I added some castor sugar (not granulated or powdered, the one in between) thinking it would dissolve ok. It didn't, and now I have a slight granulated texture throughout all my ganache. Is it even possible to fix this to somehow get the sugar dissolved still? I looked here and other sites, but I couldn't find anything. Has anyone else ever had to fix something like this? I'd rather not start over on it again if I don't have to. Thanks!

5 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 4:38am
post #2 of 6

Possibly (no gauruntees sorry) you could warm it on a double boiler to a temp that is a bit over body temp and very gently stir it until the sugar dissolves. Hopefully you can keep it at a temperature that wont split or seize your ganache but will dissolve your sugar.

If you do happen to seize your ganache, don't bin it, come back here and we can try to fix it, seized ganache is often fixable.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 6

I’d try bubs1stbirthday’s suggestion first. If, after cooling and setting, it’s still gritty, then perhaps you could whisk the ganache for a while; this would change the consistency (softer and creamier) and MAY help the sugar dissolve.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 6

Since your ganache was not sweet, I am guessing that you used a dark or semi-sweet chocolate.  Never heard of that problem before.  The only way I can imagine you could dissolve the sugar it, as stated by bubs1stbirthday and Cher2309b, to gently warm and stir, stir, stir.  Should it start to split, Kara Andretta has a great blog on how to repair ganache.

http://karascouturecakestheblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-repair-broken-ganache.html?m=1

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 6

If all else fails, I would use it anyway.  Once it has buttercream and/or fondant on top of it, I doubt anyone would ever be able to tell the difference.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 6

I had this problem in my early ganache days. I was using a dark chocolate with too high a cacao percentage. I find around 65% works best. It could also be the brand of chocolate; just make sure the chocolate itself has a pleasant taste, ‘cause it won’t get any sweeter with the cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%