Amount Of Fondant For Covering A Board

Lounge By lkern777 Updated 26 Feb 2018 , 2:22am by lkern777

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 7

I didn't know what category to put this in, so I chose the Lounge.

I am trying to figure out a mathematical way of determining the amount of fondant needed to cover a board. I have scoured the internet and found static lists for what people have used, but I want a way to calculate it myself (I'm trying to put it in a pricing spreadsheet that will calculate it for me based on the dimensions I enter). The amounts vary widely, probably because of the difference in the types of fondant used. I'm just trying to get a guideline for pricing.

I have tried backing into the numbers that others have posted, but cannot figure out how they came up with the numbers. I can determine the volume required, based on the thickness of the fondant, but don't know how to translate that into oz or grams of fondant.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this? 

6 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 7

Take 200 grams of fondant. Roll it into as perfect a circle as you can at the thickness you would like to use for your board. Let’s say it makes a 15cm. So using pi x r^2 you can work out how much you would need for any size board. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 7

I always use leftover fondant not fit to be used on a cake. So I’m not much help here. I mostly use either a10” or 12” board. I would guess approximately half a pound/approx 225 grams. So obviously more needed for larger boards.

lkern777 Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 1:28am
post #4 of 7

Thanks y'all! I don't get notifications any more, so I just saw these replies. I ended up using Louglou's method. :)

lkern777 Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 1:29am
post #5 of 7

Thanks y'all! I don't get notifications any more, so I just saw these replies. I ended up using Louglou's method. :)

lkern777 Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 1:30am
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I used louglou's method.

lkern777 Posted 26 Feb 2018 , 2:22am
post #7 of 7

Sorry for the multiple replies. It kept timing out, so I thought it wasn't taking. UGH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%