Cake Lace On Airbrushed Cake

Decorating By rdevon Updated 24 Jan 2018 , 6:11pm by -K8memphis

rdevon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdevon Posted 23 Jan 2018 , 9:59am
post #1 of 6

I plan to use Dinkydoodle silver (not-water based) paint on a fondant cake. I want to attach cake lace to the side. I thought I could maybe do that with edible glue, because of course I couldn't paint the side with water on airbrushed paint. I thought maybe I could put the edible glue directly onto the back of the cake lace, then attach to the airbrushed sides of the cake. Has anyone ever put cake lace over an airbrushed cake? I would appreciate hearing about your experiences, or to know if you think this is out of the question.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2018 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 6

just depends on how much lace I guess -- are you using various pieces or trying to wrap it with a continuous piece?

a couple pieces maybe -- but why set yourself for trauma/drama -- one tiny wrong move and it's ruined --

why can't you color the icing?

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2018 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 6

oh and I've only used water to apply it so idk the other question

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 3:36am
post #4 of 6

I use edible glue (tylose and water) to attach cake lace all the time, but not to an airbrushed cake.  As -K8mempis said, one false move and you've damaged your finish and I've never applied anything without having to make at least slight adjustments.  Come to think of it, since you are using an oil based color, it might be a lot stronger than a water based one.

rdevon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdevon Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 11:19am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much, K8mempis and SandraSmiley, for taking the time to give me your thoughts, The Dinkydoodle paint I am going to use is alcohol based not oil, so may actually have some water in it but I don't think so. It may be too powdery for the lace to attach right. I want the true silver color which is why I want to use the airbrush paint. I am going to do a practice dummy first. The cake is for my son's birthday and he's into music so want to use the pattern that has drums and guitars on it. But as K8mempis says, I could just cut out the drums and guitars and attach those only so I wouldn't have such a big piece to worry about. The cake is not til March so I have some time to expiriment. Thank you so much. Jennifer of Sugar Delites suggested I use piping gel. Will try it all.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 6

another idea -- is to make each lace piece have a smushy background right around it anyway -- might not be plan A but worth a thought if additional plans are needed -- kwim :)

perfect that you are doing a trial run -- best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%