I Think My Cake Is Going To Collapse :-(

Decorating By louglou Updated 22 Jan 2018 , 10:28am by cutiger

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 20 Jan 2018 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 9

I’m making a dr Seuss cake for my daughters party tomorrow. It’s similar to this one. I Think My Cake Is Going To Collapse :-(I’ve got 4 books each on their own thin cake card. Each book has 3 straw dowels. I probably should have done more. My hat is taller and thinner and has 4 dowel under it but they only go into the top book. It already looks like it’s leaning so I think I’ll take photos and then remove the hat for tonight. 

I’m so disappointed. I didn’t really think the construction side through. Any idea how I could strengthen it? Or should I just wait till the last moment to add the hat?

8 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Jan 2018 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 9

Have you got a photo to show what you mean?

If you have spaced your straws in a triangle then you hopefully will be ok but of you have a corner unsupported then I would be concerned that it would indeed tip.

If your hat is starting to tip already I would put it straight in to the fridge to firm up and hopefully prevent it slipping while you decide what to do next.

What icings are in it? Is your cake nice and square (measure the heights of each tier, they should all be even.

Are all your dowels cut to the same length as each other rather than to the top of your cake?

What are the actual measurements of your top tier?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 9

i'm probably too late but can you sharpen a few dowel to go all the way through to the bottom board? at least three since you are not having to travel with it -- all underneath the hat

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both. I added an extra dowel straw in the top book and a skewer all the way through. I left the hat off till the party and it was absolutely fine.

I Think My Cake Is Going To Collapse :-(

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 9

love it!!!! super well done --

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 9

Well done, your cake is beautiful

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 9

You did a lovely job - bet it was a hit!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 22 Jan 2018 , 1:38am
post #8 of 9

Looks great, love the green eggs and ham. Glad it held up.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 22 Jan 2018 , 10:28am
post #9 of 9

It turned out precious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%