Commercial Kitchen

Business By havealittle Updated 18 Jan 2018 , 5:10am by johnson6ofus

havealittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havealittle Posted 12 Jan 2018 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 4

Long story short. I retired from the Navy in November...but before I did my last tour I rented a commercial kitchen and made baked goods for farmer's markets in the area and etc. The town wanted me to open a brick and mortar store, but the Navy moved me once again and so I had to put on back burner. I am in the process of looking at starting back up. I had a friend tell me...why don't I open up a commercial  kitchen up and have a storefront or food truck for the baked goods. The closest kitchen to us is about 1.5 hours away, although I was able to rent a community center kitchen closer, thanks to a friend. Just wanted thoughts on this...would it be a good idea to have a building for the like two kitchens with room to expand? I could have a room for nut-free baking/cooking....and have storage bins for dry and refrigerated items. The town is getting ready to open its owe farmer's market too. I was thinking about running some numbers and see if this was a feasible idea. I live in southern PA.

Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2018 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 4

anyone can and does bake from their home now and sells it -- when one person hangs up the piping bag and switches off the mixer another ramps it up -- baking has always been a penny business -- paying overhead on what you are proposing means you will be baking a ton of product before you make any money -- I don't know -- not being a debbie downer -- just the icy reality of opening any business -- but baking is particularly daunting 

best to you

havealittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havealittle Posted 16 Jan 2018 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much. I just use to rent from a successful commercial kitchen. And in PA for your license, you can't have any pets ever in the house and  no kiddos in the kitchen when you bake. I would rent to not just bakers but all cooks and etc. The one in York, PA rents out for cooking lessons and and people use to make all kinds of foods. Thank you...I know starting any small business is hard work. 

Lisa

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Jan 2018 , 5:10am
post #4 of 4

Quote by @havealittle on 5 days ago

I was thinking about running some numbers and see if this was a feasible idea. 

This is the smartest part of the post. Sounds like you had some background before and have some idea of how it works. The numbers are sooooo different from location to location, I don't think anyone can help that isn't specifically in your area. GL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%