Disappointed With How Cake Turned Out.

Decorating By louglou Updated 11 Jan 2018 , 7:05pm by gscout73

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 6 Jan 2018 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 10

I was going for this style but on a 6” double barrel. It was for a friends daughter whose favourite colour is pale blue.

Here’s what I made. I think the diamonds were far too big and it’s all a bit scruffy. A maybe the marble wasn’t a good choice. 

Can I have an objective opinion please?

9 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 6 Jan 2018 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 10

It’s much better than what I could do with fondant :) I agree with everything you said though. What stands out to me the most is, I think the pattern is eye-catching enough and solid colors would be better.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 2:44am
post #3 of 10

The 3d effect on the first cake is enhanced by the fact that a slightly darker shade of red is used on the underneath part of the 'cube' to imitate the bottom part being in shadow, also the smaller shapes do work better I think.

I think that your cake does give the 3d effect somewhat but is just not quite as refined. What did the person receiving the cake think? I am sure they were more than happy with it....If you made them happy then I would consider this cake job well done and work to put it out of my mind, only calling on the experience next time to refine the design.

Every time you do a cake you get better as you learn from the things you did or didn't like from the previous ones :-) 

louglou Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 9:46am
post #4 of 10

Thank you both. I think the recipient was happy. I couldn’t work out how to make the predominant colour pale blue and not make the cake look too masculine. 

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 10

My advice would be to put flowers on top or use some other kind of topper. Also, if the recipient loves blue, they will probably be thrilled and it might not occur to them that the cake is masculine-looking.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 10

I think your cake is awesome!!

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 10

Would love to know how you did this.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 8 Jan 2018 , 1:55am
post #8 of 10

To me your inspiration cake looks almost like it was done as an edible image so doing it in fondant much harder to accomplish (in my mind).  I like your color choices and the marble but agree with what you yourself said, that your diamonds could have been a bit smaller to achieve the 3D look more effectively.  Overall, well done though!

louglou Posted 8 Jan 2018 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Jan 2018 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 10

I love the use of the marbled tiles on the tops of the cube effect. Reminds me of tile counter tops. I think yours looks more 3d than your inspiration cake, which I agree looks like edible image. Tile seams could be tighter, but I think your color selection was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%