I Forgot The Icing?

Business By kcampeau Updated 10 Jan 2018 , 5:00pm by -K8memphis

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 15

So I am not sure if this is a me issue or a weird client. I changed my tastings recently and have started doing naked slices of cake, wrapped in saran wrap nicely and given in a box for on the go tastings they can take home. 3 layers of cake and 2 of filling and the top and bottom is naked as that touches the saran and would make a mess. Attached is a photo of exactly what I created for this bride.

So she picks it up and we go or separate qays and she calls me 5 minutes later and says "You forgot the icing". I said pardon? She again told me i forgot the icing and she was not very happy. I told her the icing is in the cake layers. She told me thats the filling where is the icing on the outside of the cake? I forgot it. I told her no, the filling is the same as the icing its all buttercreams. She said well if I want a buttercream cake and I want raspberry filling but I want a white cake how does that work? I told her the raspberry which is pink is on the inside and I do a very thin layer of vanilla icing as it is white on the outside. But if its a fondant cake as the fondant covers the cake I would do it all raspberry even under the fondant as the fondant covers it. She said okay and that was it and I haven't heard from her.

Did I really forget the icing? I have never had that before and now i am concerned others think that? Or is this presentation fine?

I Forgot The Icing?

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 15

that's an interesting observation the bride made -- 

to resolve'eliminate it i think i would add a small piping bag of icing that they can squirt out themselves -- an interactive sampler :)

i think your box is lovely beautiful but i can see why she might say that although i clearly see your point as well --

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 15

oh i had another idea -- but it's more work :) if you pipe buttercream roses and let them air dry -- you could ice the tops of each slice and stick a rose in it to keep the wrapping from sticking as much -- you could use drop flowers or just little fondant blossoms --

you could make one large fondant blossom and set it so it angles over the edge of the icing so it will thoroughly protect the icing -- you could make dozens in advance -- they'll set up and hold for months kwim --

forgotten icing remembered thought for you :)

kcampeau Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you for your thoughts, I am not sure what you mean by the second suggestion do you have a photo?

kcampeau Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 15

Thank you for your thoughts, I am not sure what you mean by the second suggestion do you have a photo?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 15

Huh, that is interesting.  In my head, I view these slices as me just being able to get a chance to taste your options and not as a visual of the final product.  KWIM?  But I guess not everyone thinks that way and some people NEED the full visual to understand.  Maybe in the future when providing this box to a possible client you could explain that these are just tasting samples and that the final look of the outside of the cake (outer frosting/fondant) can look however they wish.  You could even write out a small card that explains this and goes into every box.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 15

I'm in love with your presentation! I don't think you forgot the icing, but those that don't know or understand that the icing is still on the inside of the cake, would probably think so. When I think filling, I think curd, jams, etc. I've never, even before baking thought of the icing on the inside as a filling lol I don't know why. You could, if you wanted get little condiment cups to place inside the box that has whatever filling they want to try, but as far as presentation, awesome! 

kcampeau Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you! Where I am from curds and such are not popular. Usually its buttercream on the inside that is flavoured like I add raspberry jam to my standard buttercream and make it raspberry and than vanilla is finished on the outside of the cake as its white and neutral. So perhaps I have to incorporate that somehow

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 15

I wouldn't change the packaging of the samples, I really think they are lovely, but finding a way to include a filling would be a good idea. Is she the only one that has said anything? If so, I don't know if I would change it based on one person's perception. 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2017 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 15

as a caker i thought your samples were great but i do see the bride's pov and i think it's valid -- i think i'm repeating myself -- it's all about perception right?

well anyway -- my second suggestion would protect the icing from only one side of the plastic wrap and not the other -- oops -- i don't know -- 

but you could lay each iced slice on a parchment paper then put the flower on top to protect the exposed icing -- wrap it up and away you go?

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 31 Dec 2017 , 1:21am
post #11 of 15

I love custards as fillings with buttercream on the outside but that is just too much for samples.  I think your samples look good are a good starting off point.  Like sort of a..."you passed round one.  Now let me see what your finished cakes look like". 

kcampeau Posted 31 Dec 2017 , 1:37am
post #12 of 15

What does that mean? I don’t quite follow

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 31 Dec 2017 , 6:22am
post #13 of 15

I mean that your samples are great the way they are.  Your potential clients can taste your cake and buttercream work.  If they like what they taste then they can proceed from there. 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 10 Jan 2018 , 5:39am
post #14 of 15

Your sample boxes are beautiful!!  Don't feel like you need to change a thing!

The only thing you might want to add is, like someone mentioned above, a little card explaining these are just tasting samples and that a finished cake will look different. Although I think it's pretty obvious, but that's from a caker's perspective I guess. I have had someone ask me if their cake will look weird having different flavours in each tier - it was a fully fondant cake, bless his little cottons  :)

But I love your boxes! Gorgeous!!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2018 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 15

here's my thing -- Very Few customers complain -- when one does complain like this -- it is invaluable information destined to help you make your business even better -- adding a piping bag full of icing tied with a cute bow is a solution -- call it an interactive cake sample --  

yes your presentation is lovely and i want one -- so pro, clean, desirable -- and the bride's perception is valid -- you are providing a serving of naked cake -- most people expect a nice big blob of icing with their cake --

nobody's gonna say, "wow that was weird she had a bag of icing in there" i'm not gonna book with her

but somebody already said and discussed with other people the lack of top icing, so i think peeps might say, "i felt something was lacking but i can't put my finger on it" let's book with the other one -- since i like them both --

idk -- that's an easy base to cover 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%