Royal Icing Formula

Decorating By tennisplayer

tennisplayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennisplayer Posted 3 Dec 2017 , 6:02am
post #1 of 1
We are working with generic designs for Christmas (i.e. Santa face, winter snowman) and Vendor A and Vendor B have differences in their royal icing formulation.

The specific issue is Vendor B's decorations break extremely easily. They are soft and when pressure is applied, the decoration breaks and there is a lot of "powder" from the fragments.

Obviously, the formula of Vendor A is superior in regard to durability. Would you be able to pinpoint the formula differences so we can advise Vendor B on how to improve?

Vendor A
Sugar, Cornstarch, Dextrose, Dried Egg Whites, Monocalcium Phosphate, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Salt, Artificial Flavors, Artificial Colors; (Red 3, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6)

Vendor B
Confectionery sugar, cornstarch, powdered gelatin, powdered egg albumen, cream of tartar and water. May contain: FD&C Blue #1 (E133), Blue #2 (E132), Red #3 (E127), Red #40 (E129), Yellow #5 (E102), and Yellow #6 (E110) depending on the colors of the products.

A and B are competitors, however A is not interested in receiving any more of our business.

My questions are as follows:

1) How can we provide Vendor B with advice on how to improve the overall durability and hardness of their decorations?

2) Is there any way we can recover the existing decorations from Vendor B for this holiday season? I tried soaking them in coconut oil, however I'm not certain anything will make a difference.
0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%