First Wedding Cake (Sort Of) Seeking Advice

Decorating By theangrycupcake Updated 17 Nov 2017 , 4:55pm by -K8memphis

theangrycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theangrycupcake Posted 16 Nov 2017 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 4

I have my first wedding cake this weekend. It's a three tiered cake, 12 inch, 10 inch, and 8 inch. Although I have made a 50th wedding anniversary cake that was a 10 inch, 8 inch, and 6 inch. And I have done three tiered graduation cakes. And I've been in a home business for about 2 years now and I've made many cakes. But I'm still a bit nervous about it. It's in my town so delivery is maybe 10 minutes away at most and I'm not sure yet if I want to stack it before I get there or stack it there. Each tier is a different flavor and they're all flavors I've done many times before. I'm going to stack with cardboard circles and bubble tea straws.  She is providing a stand for it. She is not saving the top tier. It will be sitting out for 3-4 hours but the frosting is not buttercream because I have a cottage food license so I make a white chocolate frosting with shortening instead. Should I leave business cards there? I'll bring my license in case anyone asks. Should I leave a box in case there are extras or just let her deal with that? Does anyone have any last minute advice? I'm excited. And a little nervous. But mostly excited! 

3 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 Nov 2017 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 4

I work from home as a cottage food baker, and do mostly butter cream cakes. It's not a perishable item that needs refrigeration, so it's odd if it's not something allowed where you live. I stack my cakes at home, put in fridge to get cold as I find it easier and less nerve racking to deliver them cold. I've also stacked the bottom tiers at home, and stacked the last one on site, as I deliver alone and depending on the size, I can't handle the weight. I don't leave business cards at events (unless asked) because I just don't think it is the proper time to advertise my products, but some people do. I would talk to the bride and go from there. I never was in the habit of leaving boxes, but now I make sure to leave one or two in varying sizes. It sounds like you've got a good place. Good luck! 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 Nov 2017 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 4

*good plan *

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 4

ypierce is right about the boxes -- everyone appreciates the baker who provides for the possibility of leftovers - and it's a very inexpensive way to show your thoughtfulness -- venues, wedding coordinators, mob, whosoever has to transport the cake -- makes a lot of people happy --

good business practice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%