Minion Birthday Cake Help

Baking By Brightstart Updated 15 Nov 2017 , 5:10pm by SandraSmiley

Brightstart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brightstart Posted 15 Nov 2017 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 2

Hi, 

I’m quite new to baking and I’m making my daughter a sitting Minion cake for her birthday cake. I want it to comfortably feed 20 kids plus extra for parents etc.

ive looked at a few online tutorials but now I’ve baked the cakes I’m worried the cake won’t be enough to feed them! What I’ve done so far:

I’ve baked 4 X 6 inch cake rounds ( in height) plus 1 X Pyrex bowl (6 inch/1 litre size). I’ve used chocolate cake mix.

im considering baking an 8 inch cake also to sit the Minion on to ensure there’s enough cake. Do you think it would support the 6 inch layers & dome ok? Any advice on doweling/where to put cake boards etc.

Also I’m thinking of filling the chocolate cakes with chocolate ganache & crumb coating and then I’ll be covering it in yellow fondant. Will this be too sickly?

Anyway this is only the 3rd novelty cake I’ve made (incidentally my little one is 3 so it’s an annual affair!)

id appreciate any advice from you expert bakers!

Thanks! 

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Nov 2017 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 2

I did a minion birthday cake for a group about that size and I used the same configuration, but with 8" rounds.  Just to be on the safe side, I added a dozen cupcakes.  

Your flavors sound fine.  Use cake boards and dowels that same as for a double barrel cake.  Be sure to trim your cake boards slightly smaller than the actual cake, so they will not show through when stacked and ganached.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%