Pound Cake Definition

Baking By kakapo Updated 12 Nov 2017 , 12:37pm by johnson6ofus

kakapo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakapo Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 5:05am
post #1 of 4

Hi all

What exactly is pound cake? I have seen so many recipes claiming that they result in pound cake. What is the difference between pound cake, yellow cake, and normal cake. And if a recipe says it's a "dairy free pound cake" is it technically a pound cake? Thanks and sorry if my questions were kinda stupid confused

3 replies
Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 7:34am
post #2 of 4

Pound cake is almost like the "mother cake", if you will. Pound cake is literally the simplest cake recipe in the world, and it's fantastic just the way it is.

Traditionally, pound cake had four ingredients, all measured out to be about a pound each: Butter, Flour, Sugar, and Eggs.

That's it.

Simple creaming method and done. Dense, moist, tasty pound cake. Obviously you should add a dash of salt and vanilla to complete a plain pound cake but that's the idea.

Other cakes that we might call layer cakes, butter cakes, or as you said yellow cakes, are really just variations off of the pound cake. Once you start adjusting that simple ratio of pound cake ingredients, if you take it far enough you're going to have a layer cake.

For example, layer cakes will replace some of those eggs for dairy. Layer cakes will have baking powder or baking soda whereas traditional pound cake does not. Layer cakes will adjust the amount of flour or sugar to get the right texture. It's very technical stuff when you get too into it. And it's not a stupid question at all. But if you're interested in figuring out cake recipes, understand the basics of the pound cake is the best place to start and work from.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 4

Assuming you are in the US and using "American" based flavors and "normal", it is really about the texture. A "layer" cake ("normal", "yellow") is a fluffier and lighter texture than a "pound" cake. Cake monster defined it well. The flavor of most cakes can be altered by extracts, substituting cocoa for some of the flour,  and such to get different flavors

Lightest- "chiffon", "angel food" "sponge". Lots of egg whites light cakes

Light- "normal". Think Betty Crocker cake out of the box . Think regular standard birthday cake out of the grocery store case.

Medium- Think Betty Crocker box with pudding added doctored mix. A little mister, a little heavier.

Heavier- "pound" cake. Think frozen Sara Lee cake from the freezer section.

Heaviest- "fruitcake". 

For heavy decorations and fondant, you need a heavier, denser cake to support it. I wrote out the list above as an easy definition method that most people understand NOT because you must use a mix or use frozen Sara Lee cake. But it is a quick way to "test" and see the difference. 

Of course, that doesn't mean, within a small group, that they didn't make up or adapt their own definition or understanding of what "real yellow cake" is. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 4

I will admit, I love Sara Lee frozen pound cake. Cut a slice, add canned peaches on top, a bit of whip cream and sprinkle on some chopped walnuts and serve...yum. I am a pretty good baker but just cannot bake a better pound cake than that one (Sara Lee). <sigh>. But darn it, it is easy and yummy.

Sara Lee is also my "go to" for dipping in chocolate fondue. Cube it up....set out with marshmallows, orange slices, etc. Another easy yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%