Lantern Cake

Decorating By Cakesbybliss Updated 14 Nov 2017 , 5:52am by Cakesbybliss

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 7 Nov 2017 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hii guys! 

i have to make this lantern cake for this Friday. The theme of the cake needs to be about “seeing the light again/or to rekindle oneself from within”. The cake I will be making is for an auction. I thought of making a lantern however I’m unsure as how to make the lantern look like it’s glowing. I did think of making a lantern using sugar glass and putting an led light inside but this cake will be left out for two days and I know the sugar glass will just end up becoming sticky. 

i needed some ideas as to how I can make this lantern cake look real cool and still edible. Please share your ideas! 

Or feel free to share other ideas other than a lantern! That works too! 

11 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Nov 2017 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

Lantern cake is a tough one. I would not even know how to begin making one of those. Hopefully someone here will have ideas. I am just a hobby baker who bakes for my friend's birthdays and close family. The only thing I could come up with is fireworks as in celebrating life. Surely someone here would have something better than me. Good luck I am sure you will think of something.

Fireworks-Cake.jpg

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 10 Nov 2017 , 2:11am
post #3 of 12

If you have time to get an edible lacquer spray (PME makes one) and isomalt,  you can make the "glass" part of lantern. The spray seals the sugar and doesn't get sticky. I made an isomalt eyeball and sealed it with the spray and it was in and out of the fridge and never got sticky at all.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 Nov 2017 , 2:07am
post #4 of 12

Ok, you can bake cake for the top and bottom, with the top being separated with a space. You can put an led tealight candle in the middle of the space and wrap with wax paper or parchment paper with several battery tea light candles. The candle will create a glow. Some of the battery tea lights actually flicker. Only turn  on the candle when you delivery and put the top cake on.

Just a suggestion.

gscout73 Posted 11 Nov 2017 , 2:09am
post #5 of 12

Then decorate to look like a lantern

gscout73 Posted 11 Nov 2017 , 2:10am
post #6 of 12

Cakesbybliss Posted 11 Nov 2017 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so so much you guys! I love all the ideas! I did make the cake and ended up making a regular lantern haha :) Lantern Cake

gscout73 Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 2:31am
post #8 of 12

Nice. I misunderstood. I thought you wanting to make a cake look like a lantern.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2017 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 12

wow pretty cool!

Cakesbybliss Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 12

Hehe, I did want to make the whole cake look like a lantern but I didn’t have anything to make it glow and ordering online wasn’t an option since there wasn’t enough time.

gscout73 Posted 14 Nov 2017 , 3:53am
post #11 of 12

I think it came out great!

Cakesbybliss Posted 14 Nov 2017 , 5:52am
post #12 of 12

Ty :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%