Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Baking By candycakes51 Updated 15 Oct 2017 , 2:34pm by candycakes51

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 10 Oct 2017 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a chocolate peanut butter cake for a friend.  If I use a DH devil's food cake mix, do I need to make any adjustments to the recipe to accommodate the peanut butter, or just add it in?  She wants white buttercream icing so adding it to the icing is not an option.  I am planning on putting chocolate peanut butter pudding in the middle as a filling.

6 replies
JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 12:11am
post #2 of 7

Hmm.  I wonder if adding pb to the batter will just weigh it down?  How about a pure pb filling of some sort - I do a pb German buttercream myself and pb SMBC is also delicious. Or chopped pb cups in the batter?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 7

If you have a scratch cake recipe that uses butter, just replace some of the butter with PB.  Won't work with mixes since they don't use butter but a thought would be to add in finely grind dry roasted peanuts to a mix which might alter the density less than just adding PB to the batter.  Or how about a marble cake with chocolate cake marbled with pb cake?   I agree with Just One More Cake that a pure peanut butter filling or buttercream might be the easiest and least risky way to add the pb without a lot of trial and error.  You could tort the cakes and get 3 layers of filling with 4 layers of cake which  would add a lot of pb taste. Also the contrasting colors with all those layers would be very pretty when cut.  good luck,

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 12:11am
post #4 of 7

The last  chocolate cake I made was chocolate hershey's recipe on box of cocoa with my peanut butter frosting. That is one of my favorite recipes and everyone who hates chocolate cake even loves it. The buttercream frosting is made just like the regular buttercream but I add 1 1/4 cup peanut butter into it after I have whipped it enough then mix again till peanut butter is mixed in. It tastes better than regular buttercream because of peanut butter!!!  I love chocolate and peanut butter which is a great combination. Not sure if you could add peanut butter to a box cake or not. Everyone always wants that cake when I ask what kind of cake do they want. 

I do agree with Yortma that you could exchange some of butter in scratch recipe for peanut butter. Please let us know how it works out for you and what you decide to do. 

wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 1:51am
post #5 of 7

You might also look into using a peanut butter powder like PB2.

candycakes51 Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 2:28am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone.  I will let you know what I end up doing and how it turns out.  It is for this week-end.

candycakes51 Posted 15 Oct 2017 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the great suggestions everyone.  I finally ended up just adding 1/3 cup of creamy style peanut butter to my cake mix and it turned out great.  The cake was a little denser than  usual and it did sink just a tiny bit in the middle, but I just added a little extra buttercream to fill that dent and even everything out.  Bottom line...everyone loved it and there was not a single crumb left!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%