Would I Be Crazy To Attempt Orchids? And What Do I Need?

Decorating By louglou Updated 18 Oct 2017 , 5:38am by Apti

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 10 Oct 2017 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a cake for the mum of a friend. She loves orchids and I'd like to do an orchid flower pot cake. But I've never made flowers before and have no cutter or veiners. Do I need to buy both? Could I use a scribing tool for the veining?

I've watched a load of videos. Some stick the wire in each petal and some use a blob of gumpaste on the wire and stick that to the petal. Is there any advantage to either method?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 2:43am
post #2 of 9

You can definitely use your scribing tool for veining.  It may not be as realistic as a silicon veiner, but pretty anyway.  You can look at pictures of the type orchid you want to make and cutters for that type blossom to determine what shape you need, then make you a templet for cutting the petals and different parts.  If you watched a lot of videoes, then you have a good idea how to proceed.  Of course, it would be easier if you had cutters.

Sometimes I insert the wire directly into the petal, sometimes I stick it to the back of the petal with a little strip of gum paste and sometimes I use the twittle method, where you roll a small amount of gum paste very thinly onto your wire, then glue to the back of the petal.  I don't know that there is an advantage of using one method over another.  

Don't worry about perfection.  I know your friend's mom will love your creation.  Good luck!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 2:46am
post #3 of 9

By the way, my very first flower was an orchid for my neighbor's birthday cake.  It was horrible, but she loved it and at the time I thought it was quite awesome, lol.Would I Be Crazy To Attempt Orchids? And What Do I Need?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 Oct 2017 , 3:33am
post #4 of 9

Here is a buttercream orchid shown by Roland Winbeckler. I have made them and with a little practice they are easy to do!! Not sure if you are interested in doing it in buttercream but it is another option for you.

louglou Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 9

I had a little practice run.

Would I Be Crazy To Attempt Orchids? And What Do I Need?

I stuck the wires to the back of the petals which didn’t work very well. The petals wouldn’t stay in place and would spin around the wire. I also struggled with wrapping the wires together. I’ve since seen another tutorial that only has 1 wire strung through the centre of the petals. 

I got a bit carried away with the painting too. 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Oct 2017 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 9

It is beautiful, louglou!  See, not even a little crazy!  She is going to love your orchids.  In fact, you could make a flower pot out of cake and design your orchids and leaves like a growing plant and have it in the cake pot.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 4:28am
post #7 of 9

@louglou  That is G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S.       Do more exactly the same way.  Make the cake.  Say "Thank You" when everyone says, "You MADE these??????!!!!!!!"    Then....shut up.   

Do NOT say, "I stuck the wires to the back of the petals which didn’t work very well. The petals wouldn’t stay in place and would spin around the wire. I also struggled with wrapping the wires together. I’ve since seen another tutorial that only has 1 wire strung through the centre of the petals. I got a bit carried away with the painting too."  (That's just between us cake fanatics.... )

Be very proud of your orchid!!   and, btw @SandraSmiley   -- Your orchids are STILL beautiful!

louglou Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 5:17am
post #8 of 9

Thank you for your lovely comments. I will do the flower pot cake as you suggested SandraSmiley. 

Your comment made me laugh Apti. Its just the sort of thing I would have said if someone complimented me. I’m british and we’re not very good at taking compliments graciously. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Oct 2017 , 5:38am
post #9 of 9

Well, with first time orchids like that, you better get used to accepting compliments graciously!   Post a picture of your finished cake, please.   We'd love to see it.

Image result for accepting a compliment

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%