Scooby Mystery Bus From Rkt

Decorating By Coffeelover77 Updated 11 Oct 2017 , 8:25pm by Coffeelover77

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 5 Oct 2017 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 13

it's that time again, another cake (for my nephew) I think I am going to do a Spooky scooby doo type cake and right now just gathering ideas. So my question is, I saw this cook idea from Zoesfancy cakes where the bus had drawing on front, and people coming out sides. Here it is- sorry any time I try to put a picture in a post here it does not work !!

http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a5924ef0970b01b7c7e0b7de970b-pi

anyway I am thinking of maybe like a cake with a haunted house ... and then a smaller mystery bus driving away from it .. But I wonder about the logistics. If I made a bus out of RKT and then try to stick little figures in at that angle .. would they just fall off ? Honestly I'm not sure how even in a cake this size of figure relative to the cake is anchored at that angle? If i made a little bus with just the drawing part, then on top of the bus Scooby and Shaggy would that look weird ?? (like why would they be on the bus not in it ... haha!)

thanks all!

12 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Oct 2017 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 13

That is a cute cake.  If you wanted to make your bus out of RKT's, you could use melted chocolate on your skewers (supporting the people) to help hold them in.  Don't worry about cartoons making sense!  Think about it, lol!  It would look fine to have Scooby and Shaggy on top.

Coffeelover77 Posted 5 Oct 2017 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you @SandraSmiley ‍  do your mean dip the end of the skewer that will go into the rkt in chocolate then stick it in?

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 2:08am
post #4 of 13

Yes, then put a little more melted chocolate on the bottom of your model where it meets the RKT's, just to be very secure.  I've done this with wired feathers on a turkey and it worked well.  The turkey is about the size of a bantam chicken, so the feathers are pretty large and the chocolate worked well.Scooby Mystery Bus From Rkt

Coffeelover77 Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you sandra! beautiful turkey !

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you, ma'am!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 13

Wow, SandraSmiley, your turkey is amazing!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks so much, @remnant3333 ‍ !

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks so much, @remnant3333 ‍ !

Coffeelover77 Posted 10 Oct 2017 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 13

Of course I have changed my mind on the Rice Krispie treats bus. It seems there will be a lot of people at this party now, what I’m going to do I think is make the bus big and out of cake so it’s all edible and then place the bus on a sheet cake that will be like a graveyard .. hopefully this will look ok!

stillworried about how to make these characters in advance to be at the right angle to put in the bus .. but I suppose I’ll just try my best 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 13

You do set yourself a challenge, don't you Coffeelover77?!!  Ok, I hope this makes sense.......  It depends upon how heavy your characters will be.  A straight skewer inserted into the cake with some melted chocolate where the figure meets the cake should work just fine unless they are pretty heavy.  If you feel they are too heavy to maintain their position using this method, you can use a strong wire - about 14 gauge - that will be bent at a 45 degree angle.  The wire would be (I know you already know this) wrapped with florist tape and inserted into a straw inside the cake.  The wire should go all the way to the cake board (or most of the way), through the bus and the sheet cake underneath.  The 45 degree angle would be at the bus windows where the characters are mounted.  This would give you a rock solid support for your characters.  You might have to add your characters prior to adding the top of the bus, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Coffeelover77 Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 8:21pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you @SandraSmiley ‍ ! I am hoping the skewer and some melted chocolate would do (or royal icing ?? Which dries faster ..)

but the wire is a good idea if they are too heavy! 

I was was also vaguely considering making the head and torso from rkt covered in gum paste because it’s so much lighter but I don’t feel I’d be able to do so well with that.

i already made the Scooby doo for the top as it was easy to do, I think he’s about five or six inches long. I plan to use loaf pans for the bus so it will be about 8 inches by 5 wide and probably try for 6-7 inches tall. So the characters should probably have 1.5 - 2 inch heads. I’ll see how heavy they are! I can also wait until the last minute and only stick them in when we get there but I don’t like doing that if I can avoid it

Coffeelover77 Posted 11 Oct 2017 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%