Sugarveil "melting"

Decorating By floursugarbakes Updated 25 Sep 2017 , 11:22pm by Paola__

floursugarbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floursugarbakes Posted 25 Sep 2017 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 3

Help! I recently had Sugarveil "melt" when placed on a cake frosted in bc, what did I do wrong?  I've used Sugarveil lace in the past on a bc frosted cake without any problem, but this time it just slowly disintegrated  before my eyes.  The first time I used it I left it the natural white and the second time I brushed the mat with a mixture of cocoa and xxx sugar for a burlap look, could this have been the problem? I need to use it for another cake this weekend (which I need to color in a metallic gold grimacing and I'm getting worried!

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Sep 2017 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 3

I have never used cake lace on buttercream (I make my own cake lace), but I have wondered if it would dissolve, especially from condensate if refrigerated.

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 25 Sep 2017 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 3

I have never worked with sugar lace before. I made some recently but I haven't put it on the cake yet so I wouldn't know. However, I did over dryed out a couple pieces(I was impatient and just baked them). I passed them over a stream of hot steam from a kettle of hot water. This really worked and they were beautifully flexible again. Of course I had to mess one of them up and accidentally over steam a piece which melted on my hands. 

Is it really humid where you live? Did you refrigerate it? Was the bc "wetter" than usual? Could the powdered sugar have attracted extra extra humidity? I'm not really sure...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%