Wesson Vs Sweetex Vs Alpine Hi Ratio Shortening

Baking By sweetooth94

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 1

For the past two years, I have used Alpine Hi-Ratio shortening for my icings. Two weeks ago, I placed an order and my supplier was out of Alpine. I was going to try Sweetex but they only had Wesson in stock. Since I drive over an hour to get my supplies (and this was the only day I had free to pick up my order) I tried Wesson.

I noticed two things about Wesson - first, it was more of an ivory. I still had about 2 cups of my Alpine left and side by side it was a noticeable difference in the color. It made my icing more of an off white (and I use sticks of butter in my icing, so my icing is not pure white to begin with).  I used it the week I first got it on a wedding cake and the wedding board was "white" and the cake icing looked ivory when side -by-side!  

Second - there was an aftertaste with Wesson. I don't notice any taste at all with Alpine.  I don't know how to describe it.  Not "bad" like the shortening is rancid, but an honest "aftertaste" - something you notice lingering on your tongue after you eat it... 

Has anyone tried Wesson before and found it different from Alpine & Sweetex?  I have never tried Sweetex - mostly due to price.  It's about $15-$20 more through my supplier for the same weight.  

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%