Gluten Free Baking Hardships

Baking By BlueEyedBonnie321 Updated 1 Sep 2017 , 11:49am by MsGF

BlueEyedBonnie321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueEyedBonnie321 Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 1:57am
post #1 of 3

I love cakes, but I have to do gluten free (I can't tolerate wheat. Sigh.) I got the part down with the structure of the cake and the height, but my worst problem is the flavor. 

For the love of all things sweet, I can't get my flavor out. example is my orange cake. I've been using Orange Blossom Honey, Orange Zest and even Orange Juice. But I can't use the juice anymore because my cake turns into a rubber ball. And if it's just the honey and zest, people complain that it's too light or bland. I'm going crazy here.

Anyone else here in the same boat? Or am I just the lucky one?

2 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 3:43am
post #2 of 3

Roberts orange oil extract will be your best friend (or similar orange extract oil) in this situation I think, it is so much like orange that you will think you put orange in it.

As with any oil flavouring, use it sparingly for the best results, a few drops will easily flavour a 6-8 inch cake.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 11:49am
post #3 of 3

To boost flavour use simple syrup.  Make your orange cake as usual.  Before decorating add the syrup to all layers of cake. Both sides.

5 TBSP White Sugar - 5 TBSP Orange Juice (Fresh or Carton) -- Mix together in a small pot over the stove or in the microwave.  Bring to a gentle boil just to melt the sugar.   Let cool.  Enough for 1 8" Cake.  Makes about 1/2 cup.

This is the basic recipe I use.  I change up the liquid to suit the cake flavour.  It adds another dimension of flavour. 

I make my syrup the day before I want to use it.  Let the the flavour develop.  I put mine in a little squeeze bottle and apply it to both sides of each cake layer.   It works great, tastes great and makes the cake super delicious.

Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%