Is There Such A Thing As "clear Pure Vanilla Extract?"

Baking By IzzyB1979 Updated 30 Aug 2017 , 1:00am by Paola__

IzzyB1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IzzyB1979 Posted 29 Aug 2017 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 4

In the past two years I have developed a severe allergy to imitation vanilla flavoring, like I go into a bad coughing fit and my throat closes up . I cannot eat anything from the store that has imitation vanilla/vanilla flavoring and since I make cakes I use clear a lot but I cannot even taste things as I make them if it has the fake vanilla in it but pure is just fine. I probably already know the answer but I am wondering if there is such a thing as "clear pure vanilla extract".  I know you can start out clear but the beans sitting in the clear alcohol will change it to an amber color. I'm just hoping one of you have some secret that I do not know about. Thank you in advance. 

3 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Aug 2017 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 4

As I've come to understand it, no, there is no such thing as a real vanilla extract that is clear.  Clear products contain a flavoring called vanillin, which is artificial.

There are some ludicrous claims by some Mexican suppliers of clear vanilla that it is "pure vanilla", but when you see the ingredients list, you'll know that's not true.  A pure extract is an alcohol base like vodka, bourbon, or rum and vanilla beans. Period. NOTHING else.

http://www.nielsenmassey.com/culinary/products-pure-vanilla-extract.php

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 12:06am
post #3 of 4

Not to my knowledge. But since vanilla is just an extract you might make a glycerite. You can make tinctures with stuff and alcohol or with stuff and glycerin. The glycerin version is essentially a glycerite and the alcohol version is an extract...I think. I don't know if you can make a vanilla glycerite that will remain clear or not, probably not. Just a thought, probably not worth vertuning into though. 

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 30 Aug 2017 , 1:00am
post #4 of 4

I don't even know if the vanilla glycerite would have a good vanilla flavor for that matter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%