Ganache Filling & Chilled Cake

Baking By katy_cakes Updated 27 Aug 2017 , 12:24pm by katy_cakes

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 24 Aug 2017 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a wedding cake that I plan to have done the night before and have chilled in the fridge before transport (then it may be additionally chilled in the venue's fridge if needed depending on how warm it is and when exactly they want the cake out). Basically, this is going to be a CHILLED cake. :) 

I want to use a whipped up ganache filling but after I whip it and fill the layers with it, THEN chill in the fridge...will that negate all the fluffy, whippy-ness that was achieved (that's the technical term right there "whippy-ness":)  Will it just harden and then never be smooth again? Is that even a good choice if I'm worried about warmer weather (not worried that it will be "hot" per se, but maybe warm). Or will it harden in the fridge and chilling, but eventually come back to a nice consistency along with the rest of the cake as it all comes to room temp? 

I've searched the forum for this answer and haven't really found what I need to know....so thank you!!!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 5

it'll be fine coming to room temp from the fridge --

what you want to be aware of though is that venue fridges can be problematic because you have no control -- they can have two day old fish in there -- cut onions -- bolognese sauce loaded with garlic -- not to mention no one has to be careful -- not they would intentionally damage the cake -- but they are busy -- if the cake is in their way -- they're gonna move it -- if it's easier to reach across it -- fine -- oh and when they grabbed the pan of food, some of it spilt, knocked off the top tier...whatever right -- someone slipped on the spill and fell into the cake -- any number of scenarios --

katy_cakes Posted 25 Aug 2017 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 5

You're definitely right - I'm hoping that having to leave it in the fridge for someone else to move later is the worse case scenario. If temps in this venue (it's in a non A/C'd barn, but there will be fans) are problematic, I'd put into place and probably first suggest they don't delay doing the pictures and cake cutting instead of putting it off for later. All this week it's supposed to be nice and in the seventies, but the day of the wedding it might be in the mid 80s (of course!) 

Thanks for easing my mind about the chilling/coming to room temp part. I was nervous that once it was chilled in the fridge it would stay quite thick and hard (and harder to cut). 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2017 , 10:23am
post #4 of 5

not being a debbie downer -- i'm just saying, don't sit the cake in front of a fan -- warm air is bad --warm moving air is worse :)

katy_cakes Posted 27 Aug 2017 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

not being a debbie downer -- i'm just saying, don't sit the cake in front of a fan -- warm air is bad --warm moving air is worse :)

Good to know! Thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%