Got Scammed And Would Like Some Advice.

Business By KimmysKakes Updated 16 Aug 2017 , 11:34pm by AAtKT

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 15 Aug 2017 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

A new "client" stole someone's credit card and purchased a cake from me. I was paid through PayPal and after their investigation, they reimbursed the woman whose credit card was stolen and they deducted the amount I was paid for the cake. I don't think I should be penalized as I was a victim, too. I was told I should contact my Victim Services unit through my prosecutor's office to try and get reimbursed but I have had no luck. Has anyone else gone through this?

4 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 15 Aug 2017 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't gone through this with credit cards - I don't take them.  Sorry that happened - not sure you can do much about it. And I'm not sure you can ever prevent it.  Definitely sucks.  Hope you get some resolution.  

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 15 Aug 2017 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 5

That is messed up in so many levels, but sadly happens all the time. Does your shop have cameras? Business wise, that was one of the best investments we have made. I won't get into details because it's so long. However something similar happened to us. It was a large cake, very detailed and over $500 ( a felony in my state). This person come to get the cake, when it was near closing time and there was only going to be the college students that we hire over the summer. It was the perfect time for her to run in, grab the cake and leave. The police took the video and said there was little they could do, even though the pictures were clear.  We had no real name to go with it. We posted online in several channels. We contacted other local business around town and they too posted it online. It took 3 days but someone recognized her. She had done the same thing at another business, three towns over but she had not collected the caramel apples she had ordered. When she went to collect, the police was there waiting for her. Online shaming works, I don't care what other people say about it being morally wrong. She stole from us, we were the victims. We were going to try and find her, no matter what. When she was arrested, her friends called us several times, they told us, we were destroying her life. They posted online, that we were bullies, called us every name on the book but I didn't care. Claimed she just wanted her daughter to have a nice party. Well, get a JOB to pay for it like everybody else. She had to pay us back, before she could get out on bail. She was charged with fraud too and a couple other charges that I rather not mention. You need to contact whoever is in charge of fraud in your town and pester them until they listen to you. Go to your business chamber and tell them what happened. They can help and might even know someone is doing this around town. People like this, don't do it just once. They get off doing this s**t. You can file with PayPal too to try and get your money back. They have a fraud unit, don't let the, run circles around you. I am sorry, I'm ranting but stuff like this just gets my blood boiling. Several of us on this site had an issue several years ago too, with a merchant that got hacked... I will stop because like I said I'm ranting.

Ohphelia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohphelia Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 5

I'm not sure what kind of recourse you'd have with PayPal, but I'd check with them also.  In my state, Arizona, you are also considered a victim if you incurred a monetary loss from the transaction, even if you weren't the cardholder.  I'd contact your local police department and tell them you want to file a report.  If the person is caught in the future it's the only way for them to know you're also a victim.  I wouldn't count on restitution but it does play into the court case.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 5

Paypal is notorious for siding with the credit card holder and not the business it was used with... just so you know...

Not that the lady didn't deserve to be made whole since her credit card was stolen... but Paypal isn't likely to give you back your money... they will probably tell you to take it to your local people in charge...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%