Best Way To Color Gumpaste?

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 17 Aug 2017 , 4:07pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 15 Aug 2017 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making decorations for a cake out of gumpaste.  Gold colored swags that will be made in a mold and placed on the top outside edge of a buttercream finished cake.  How do I achieve shiny gold from white gumpaste?  I have an airbrush, if that is an option.  Or should I paint it on with vodka and luster dust after the decoration dries?  Or do I paint on luster dust without the vodka?

Thank you for any help you can give me!
Christina

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Aug 2017 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 5

I think your best bet is to mix luster dust with alcohol and paint it after it drys a bit on the cake.  Using white gum paste to start is a good idea because I have had my colored (dark yellow) gum paste to bleed out into the cake, not a lot, but more than I wanted.  It would probably be best to have your gum paste the color of your buttercream, or as close as you can get it, to start.  That way your edges will not show up after you cover the tops with gold.

mrsmac888 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 5

SandraSmiley,  Thank you for your reply.  Why paint the gumpaste on the cake?  Why not just do it days ahead of time?  

Another question ...  Will a gumpaste swag adhere to (crusting) buttercream, and not fall off? Or should I use some sort of edible glue?   I haven't made the swags yet, but they shouldn't be terribly heavy.

thank you,

Christina

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 5

If you make them in advance and they harden flat, they will not conform to the curve of the cake unless you have something the same size and curve on which to dry them.  In that case, it would be great to paint them in advance.  

I don't know if it is strictly necessary, but I always put a bit of edible glue on the pieces I am sticking to the buttercream (because it has already crusted).

mrsmac888 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 5

SandraSmiley, thank you so much for the tips!  Very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%