Help Please - Wedding Cake Serves And Arrangment Of Tiers

Baking By Flix Updated 16 Aug 2017 , 4:00pm by -K8memphis

Flix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flix Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 6:33am
post #1 of 4

Hi all

First off please let me take the time to say thankyou to you all - I have spent hour upon hour of reading through these forums and the knowledge here is absolutely invaluable!  But I think because I've read so much I've got myself all confused now! 

So for my first post, I'd like to ask about servings for a wedding cake.  My client would like a 3 tier wedding cake with the bottom and top tier being a double barrel from what I can see in the picture below (she is adding her own accents which will be properly covered before insertion into the cake) and this needs to serve 140 people.  She has confirmed she wants the entire cake cut (ie she is not keeping the top tier).  The cakes will all be 2 layers with filling and then crumb coated and covered with fondant.

I was figuring a double barrel 10inch (76),  an 8inch (24)  and then a double barrel 6inch (24) which according to charts will only give a total of 124.  I can't work out how to increase this number without going hugely right over the total serves required and maintaining the double barrel arrangement as per the below.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcome - I've read so much on this that I feel like the answer is probably right in front of me but I just can't seem to grab it!

[postimage id="7831" thumb="900"]

3 replies
Flix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flix Posted 14 Aug 2017 , 6:50am
post #2 of 4

Help Please - Wedding Cake Serves And Arrangment Of Tiers

sorry here is the pic!

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 1:30am
post #3 of 4

You can't make the cake feed more than it feeds - it is what it is.  She can choose a double 6, single 8, double 10 to feed 124, and then order an additional 8" kitchen cake, or she can order a different arrangement of cakes that feeds closer to 140.

Is the cake being plated and served to each guest?  The she needs to order an extra kitchen cake. Is it being put out with coffee and there is 100 guests?  Then 124 is more than enough.

Hope that helps.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 4

an 11x11x8x5x5 is 139 -- so that gets it close -- but i always quietly erred on the side of about 10% more servings -- or 10 servings more than ordered to cover any that get dropped, swallowed in a dowel etc. so i'd provide a 6" kitchen cake or your next option is 12x12x9x6x6 even though it's 177 servings -- and the 12x12 will only be 75% as tall as it is wide so that starts to change the vibe too -- 

i think i'd do a 10x10x8x6x6 like you said  -- that's 132 and add in a 7" kitchen cake -- but 11x11x9xx7xx7 is 165 kinda big --

another thing -- i hope the bride is an artist that can make the decor the right proportion to capture the look -- otherwise the cake will look like a big hunk instead of sleek and tall kwim -- 

go here to plug in numbers & test things out -- http://capitalconfectioners.com/cakulator/cakulator.html

i always say there's two ways to buy a cake -- by the serving or by the silhouette -- this is one of those -- her servings need is too great for this look -- needs the additional cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%