Buttercream Icing, That Is Cheap And Stiff?

Baking By Wisdom0wl Updated 10 Aug 2017 , 12:49am by Cake-Monster

Wisdom0wl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wisdom0wl Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 2

Hey guys, 

I have a upcoming wedding cake (my sisters wedding cake) and it is my first three teired wedding cake. I have been baking for enough time to know where my barrier is... But one thing that is nagging at me is the expense of buttercream. I was hoping to find a cheap and stiff buttercream icing that will hold mousse filling and a buttercream icing that taste good at that. Sorry for all of my babbling, I'm just a bit on edge about this project... -Sarah 

1 reply
Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 10 Aug 2017 , 12:49am
post #2 of 2

I know what you mean. When I started a few months back, it shocked me how much I was spending on butter. It's probably the most expensive ingredient that goes into my process at least, that or chocolate depending on the cake.

If you want cheap, you should probably consider shortening. I still use all butter in my swiss meringue buttercream, because I don't think it tastes right with shortening. So I just make sure to stock up on large amounts of butter when I can find it on sale, sometimes buying 10 pounds at a time. In my area, the best deal I can find is $2.79/pound, but the average price is $3.99/pound or higher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%