Wikton Candy Melts

Decorating By rocketmom1985 Updated 3 Jul 2017 , 6:11pm by rocketmom1985

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 1:53am
post #1 of 6

Can I use the Wilton candy melts to do a melting ice cream cone cake topper with the dripping off the top?  I haven't had a lot of luck with them and thinking that after I ice the cake they might become to hard and crack off.  The cake is for a 4th of Judy party and it will be in an air conditioned room so it shouldn't melt...

thanks!

5 replies
rocketmom1985 Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 1:54am
post #2 of 6

Jeesh Fourth of July!  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 6

@rocketmom1985 ‍, this is purely guess work as I have not tried it, but could you add warmed (not hot, just warm) Karo White Syrup to the melted Candy Melts to prevent them becoming too hard when they set up?  I make modeling chocolate by adding 1 cup of syrup to 5 cups of Candy Melts and the syrup keeps the chocolate soft enough to work like clay.  For drips on a cake, I would think you would use a higher ratio of corn syrup to Candy Melts, say 2 to 5 instead of 1 to 5.  It would remain soft enough to cut easily without cracking.  

You could also try adding cream, making a ganache. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 6

you could add oil -- that's what i use when i don't have paramount crystals --

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 6

I've done this by melting the candy melts with cream. Three parts candy melts to one part cream.

rocketmom1985 Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your responses.  I have both red and blue for the cake, so I will do a small bit of each to test!  Happy 4th everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%