Sugar Coated Cake Pops

Decorating By craftycakes0627 Updated 4 Jul 2017 , 4:40pm by craftycakes0627

craftycakes0627 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes0627 Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all.  I have an order for sparklycake pops with added candy and fondant decorations.   My question is this, after I dip the pops and dry them, I normally coat them with piping gel and sprinkle on the sanding sugar. If I do that to cover the whole pop in sugars would melted candy still work to attach the decorations? Or would they fall off because of the grainy sugar coating?

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 5

I've never used piping gel, so I'm not sure. I usually dip in the candy melts, let set up for a couple of minutes and then add my sugar, that way once the candy is set, so is the sugar. You could then go back and attach the fondant pieces with melted candy. 

craftycakes0627 Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks!  I will try it for sure.  I've tried that method before but I usually wait too long and the candy is too hard for the sugar to stick or I add sugar too soon and it sinks into the candy.  Timing is everything!  Thanks again!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 5

You're welcome! Yes timing is key. I wait until the shine starts to disappear, but the candy is still wet, if that makes sense. At that point the sugar doesn't sink in, but adheres nicely. 

craftycakes0627 Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the  tips.  Hopefully these turn out nice.  I've never quite decorated cake pops with so much bling.  Lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%