How Long Did It Take You

Decorating By Coffeelover77 Updated 12 Jun 2017 , 1:36am by SandraSmiley

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 1:37am
post #1 of 7

To get good at putting fondant on a cake? I haven't done many cakes, maybe five cakes now that I have put fondant on. 

I have improved after watching a YouTube video about pulling it out and smoothing but still, my fondant has a lumpiness to it. 

Is this just a matter of practice? Like if i make 10 cakes or 20 my fondant will be smooth?

its annoying because I find making figures from gumpaste has come pretty easily to me and then simply covering a darn cake with a circle of fondant is so hard!

thanks for input :)

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 1:43am
post #2 of 7

It is definitely a matter of practice! I've covered 4 cakes in fondant, and my best was my daughter's bday cake. Make sure your icing is completely as smooth as you can get it. I fridge my cake for 30 minutes and put the fondant on while the cake is cold. I drape it over and smooth the top first, then the edges, and work my way down, pulling at the excess and smoothing down at the same time. I hate covering cakes in fondant lol

FinespunCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FinespunCakes Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 7

Fondant used to be the most stressful part for me! It probably took me 15-20 cakes to be marginally comfortable with covering cakes. I second what @ypierce82 ‍says about chilling the cake well (sometimes I'll even leave a cake overnight before covering) and making sure the surface is totally smooth.

one more tip I'd say helped me a ton is once you've smoothed and sharpened your corners with your smoothers, take a golf ball sized ball of fondant and squish it down. dust the bottom side lightly with cornstarch and use it over your cake in small circular motions to iron out any little flaws or imperfections. (hope that makes sense! I'm sure you can see videos of it on YouTube)

good luck with your practicing!

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 7

If you want smooth fondant, you need smooth buttercream underneath.   Make sure your cake is even and your buttercream is nice and smooth and your find out will lay so much smoother.  It doesn't hide flaws; it enhances them.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 12:05am
post #5 of 7

@Coffeelover77 ‍, I hear you talking!  I can cover a cake with fondant without getting wrinkles, but I have yet to get pretty, sharp edges.  Yes, it does come down to practice.  I think I have to start using ganache, which I usually do not, if I want sharp edges.  I find modeling and sugar flowers relatively easy but straight sides, level tops, smooth buttercream (which I can finally do) and perfect fondant, not so much!  And piping???  I don't even want to go there! I've been decorating about 2-1/2 years.

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 1:33am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone! I wonder if it's my homemade fondant as well ... I feel like I can't even use my smoothers on it because it seems like it will fall apart ?? Maybe its too soft. 

i think a lot of it  practice as you all have said! I should probably make some practice cakes because then I won't be always "practicing" while I'm making a cake I actually need and so I'm stressing haha!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 1:36am
post #7 of 7

I make my own fondant too and usually it is not a problem.  Once in a while, depending upon humidity, it seems a bit too soft and a little sticky.  I dust the surface of the fondant and my smoothers with cornstarch and that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%