Diabetic Cake Recipes Help!!!

Baking By sewsugarqueen Updated 13 Jun 2017 , 11:05pm by Cakemum1

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 6

Just tried 2 diabetic cake recipes, hoping to make a birthday cake for a friend.  Both used splenda.  Could someone tell me are these type of cakes usually heavy and have an aftertaste?  Both cakes, vanilla, split on top and one is a wonky cake.. didn't stay level.  Am I better off trying to use a recipe that just reduces regular sugar.  Any good tasting recipes someone can suggest?

I guess I have no clue what diabetic cakes taste like.  Has anyone ate them and can tell me what to expect.  Thanks so much

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 6

I have no confidence in baked goods labelled diabetic. In my bakery, I offered a lighter cake (such as Angel Food) or a meringue-based dessert (such as a dacquoise, which can be filled with fresh fruit)  to customers interested in a diabetic dessert. 

sewsugarqueen Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 6

Dear  Mimi, Thanks  I find the Splenda has a weird aftertaste, but I want to make sure that I am following what diabetics should follow as a menu treat.  My thought was to try lighter or less sugar baked goods.  I intend to contact a nutrionist and get some info.  Angel food cake  was always our go to for someone who had to watch sugar levels or fat content.  Love the idea of the daquoise because it looks so fancy. 

vlasko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlasko Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 1:26am
post #4 of 6

All digestible carbohydrates break down into simple sugars in the body.  So any flour product is primarily sugar even if it is not sweet.

A piece of white baguette with no added sugar raises blood sugar more than twice as fast as a piece of Betty Crocker white/yellow cake with Betty Crocker vanilla frosting.  Regular cake with frosting also beats angel food cake.  Why?  Because the fats in the cake from the eggs and oil slow down digestion.    Source: Harvard glycemic index list  .    In fact, if you review that list, you'll see that the cake comes out ahead of a lot of the other foods. 

The key to managing blood sugar levels is to watch ratios of carbohydrate to protein to fat, and to eat foods that raise blood sugar more slowly.   

A simple way to improve blood sugar control which most diabetics are not aware of is to simply consume a serving of sugar free Citrucel or Metamucil five minutes before starting a meal.  That gelatinous fiber will slow absorption of carbs and lead to a more gradual increase in blood sugar levels.

sewsugarqueen Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 6

Vlasko, thanks for that info.. I knew that keeping track of the carbs was even more important than the sugar... just looking for a good cake recipe as a treat for a diabetic that doesn't taste like garbage.  Will look at the honey/maple syrup recipes and then check with a nutrionist.  but do appreciate your help

Cakemum1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemum1 Posted 13 Jun 2017 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @MimiFix on 3 days ago

I have no confidence in baked goods labelled diabetic. In my bakery, I offered a lighter cake (such as Angel Food) or a meringue-based dessert (such as a dacquoise, which can be filled with fresh fruit)  to customers interested in a diabetic dessert. 

such a good idea!

such a good idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%