Candy Melts And Marshmallows Clay

Decorating By playingwithsugar Updated 6 Jun 2017 , 3:58pm by SandraSmiley

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 May 2017 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 20

HI, Folks!  Yes, it's been quite a while.  I hope all are well.

I was perusing some cake videos online, and saw a video that used a combination of candy melts and marshmallows to make a modeling clay.  The video gave no ratio of melts to marshmallow.  I tried the archives, but found nothing using keyword terms,

Would someone please teach me the recipe, and answer my question  i am wondering if this clay is as heat-sensitive as chocolate clay (chocolate + corn syrup), and whether it dries hard. 

Thanks!

Theresa

19 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 May 2017 , 1:28am
post #2 of 20

Never heard of it.  I would be curious to know how it behaves, as well.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 31 May 2017 , 2:06am
post #4 of 20

Does that help or is that the opposite of what you were looking for? lol

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 31 May 2017 , 2:08am
post #5 of 20

Or is this more similar to the candy melt and marshmallow fondant?

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 31 May 2017 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 20

I think this is what you're looking for: https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/10/easy-fondant-recipe/

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 31 May 2017 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 20
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 31 May 2017 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 20

Quote by @A-CupOfTee on 59 minutes ago

I think this is what you're looking for: https://www.craftsy.com/blog/2015/10/easy-fondant-recipe/

interesting. Have you used this fondant? is it in fact firmer and more elastic than regular marshmallow fondant?

I find basic MMF to be tempermental. Like one day I make it and it's great, another time it's falling apart (probably humidity related). I'd love a more reliable recipe if possible

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 31 May 2017 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 20

Quote by @Coffeelover77 on 29 minutes ago

Quote by @A-CupOfTee on 59 minutes ago

interesting. Have you used this fondant? is it in fact firmer and more elastic than regular marshmallow fondant?

I find basic MMF to be tempermental. Like one day I make it and it's great, another time it's falling apart (probably humidity related). I'd love a more reliable recipe if possible

No I haven't I'm very curious about these things as well. It looks great though lol

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 3:39am
post #11 of 20

I use Liz Marek's marshmallow fondant (LMF) and it has been consistently successful for me.  Tastes good too.  You can also add a cup of white chocolate.

http://artisancakecompany.com/recipe/the-best-marshmallow-fondant-recipe-ever/

Coffeelover77 Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 20

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 9 hours ago

I use Liz Marek's marshmallow fondant (LMF) and it has been consistently successful for me.  Tastes good too.  You can also add a cup of white chocolate.

http://artisancakecompany.com/recipe/the-best-marshmallow-fondant-recipe-ever/

interesting - do you find adding the 1lb of wilton (or other) fondant helps make it easier to work with?

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 20

I really don't know, @Coffeelover77, because I have never made it by another recipe.  This one has always worked well for me, so I stick with it.

Coffeelover77 Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 2:22pm
post #14 of 20

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 3 days ago

I really don't know, @Coffeelover77, because I have never made it by another recipe.  This one has always worked well for me, so I stick with it.

thank you sandra! I made a double batch of the kind above with white chocolate in it last night and it tastes good. I didn't have any store fondant on hand to try your recipe.

I haven't covered the cake yet (don't need to do that until the weekend) but I did make some things from the fondant with tylose powder kneaded in and it seems to be good so far! I just got the container of powder recently so this was my first time trying it. I think I didn't add enough but I'll add more next time to stiffen it further

this site is great blush

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 4:37pm
post #15 of 20

@Coffeelover77 ‍, if you are making figures from fondant and adding Tylose, you may want to try your hand at gum paste, if you haven't already. It is made with Tylose already in it and drys a lot faster and can be rolled a lot thinner than fondant.  I love Nicholas Lodge's recipe - easy, sturdy and inexpensive.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/nicholas-lodge-gumpaste-recipe/

Coffeelover77 Posted 5 Jun 2017 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 20

thank you @sandrasmiley! Do you use raw egg whites for this? my only concern would be I mostly find I make figures for childrens cakes (family and friends.. I don't sell cakes) and the children tend to eat the characters!

I would like a cheaper solution than the satin ice though, not only is it too soft but I paid $16 for 2lbs of it and that I can go through quickly if I'm making a cake with several figures on it!

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 12:36am
post #17 of 20

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 12:42am
post #18 of 20

@Coffeelover77 ‍ , I had a big, long thing about gum paste, etc, but this goofy program erased it.  Long story short, I've used regular egg whites, meringue powder and pasteurized egg whites in a carton to make Nicholas Lodge's gum paste.  The high sugar content act as a preservative, but is should be stored in the refrigerator.  Once your figures or flowers are made and set up, they become hard and not very inviting to eat.  The taste is somewhat like wall paper paste, too.  If you like to make figures intended to be eaten, I recommend modeling chocolate.  It has a learning curve to use, but so worth it.  I use it for all of my models and sculptures.  Attached above is the tutorial by Shawna McGreevy that I use to make the modeling chocolate.

Coffeelover77 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 12:57pm
post #19 of 20

thank you @SandraSmiley ‍  this forum does erase things I write too!! so annoying.

I am intrigued by the modeling chocolate idea now, I will have to try that soon! the only problem I guess would be the melting ... we are coming into summer now so things are probably going to start getting more finicky! But I will try this soon. They would probably be much more delicious to eat!

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 3:58pm
post #20 of 20

Modeling chocolate is pretty yummy, @Coffeelover77 ‍ , especially milk or dark chocolate.  It will not melt at room temperature, only if it is left setting in a hot place.  The tricky part is learning to work with it because it goes greasy and too soft from the warmth of your hands.  I've learned that all you have to do is walk away from it for a few minutes and give it a chance to cool back down.  

It also works well in molds and making decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%