Edible Image Help

Decorating By dream_cakes15 Updated 13 May 2017 , 7:23am by dream_cakes15

dream_cakes15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream_cakes15 Posted 12 May 2017 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 10

Hello I am going to be making a cake that has a bunch of characters with A LOT of details. I really don't think I would be able to make all of them in 2D and was trying to look for an easier option. Would I be able to print and cut each character and paste it to a gum paste cutout and then attach it to the cake? Would that work out nice? I hope I'm making any sense lol. 

9 replies
dream_cakes15 Posted 13 May 2017 , 3:06am
post #2 of 10

Can someone please let me know there thoughts?

cakemantis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemantis Posted 13 May 2017 , 3:14am
post #3 of 10

As long as it's flat I don't see why not. Edible images are very fragile and non flexible. So a flat application will work. 

dream_cakes15 Posted 13 May 2017 , 4:00am
post #4 of 10

Would it be easier if I attach it to the gumpaste and then cut it? 

cakemantis Posted 13 May 2017 , 4:33am
post #5 of 10

I wouldn't. I'd attach it after you cut. The attached picture is of an edible image. What I did was take a regular print of the image first and cut the cake to shape using the cut image as a guide. Then I iced it and laid the exact cut to the cake. Perfect fit. So, I think you could do the same. Use a regular image on paper first, cut it out and use it as a guide to cut out the gumpaste. Then cut out the images of the characters and attach them to their gumpaste cut shape. Edible Image Help

cakemantis Posted 13 May 2017 , 4:40am
post #6 of 10

The reason I say "I wouldn't" is because if you notice the upper right edge of the middle of the E...the image is cracked. And that's because once the image is attached and you fold the image or stretch it, it will crack or wrinkle. In my case, that corner sunk so I kept trying to fix it and kept moving the image and it cracked. So, once it's set, it's best not to move it if all possible. I think the pressure of your fingers and the scissors while you cut the gumpaste might ruin the images. Best of luck. 

dream_cakes15 Posted 13 May 2017 , 5:57am
post #7 of 10

Thank you this helps me a lot! Any suggestions on where I can get good quality images?

cakemantis Posted 13 May 2017 , 6:02am
post #8 of 10

Unfortunately not. I live in a very small town and get mine from the local grocery store bakery or from the shipping store that does mail and printing services. They do edible image printing as well. If your characters are small enough and you have any type of photo editing software on a computer I'd fit several images onto one page to cut the expense. A sheet is generally not cheap. 

cakemantis Posted 13 May 2017 , 6:10am
post #9 of 10

And don't refrigerate your edible image before you use it. The cold will make it brittle. Keep it at room temperature until ready to use and try to use it within a day or two from date of purchase to avoid it overdrying and becoming brittle. 

dream_cakes15 Posted 13 May 2017 , 7:23am
post #10 of 10

Got it! Thank you very much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%