Cake Photo Backdrop Help

Decorating By dream_cakes15 Updated 1 May 2017 , 6:49pm by dream_cakes15

dream_cakes15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream_cakes15 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 1:03am
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if anyone could please help suggest where I could purchase a good quality large black/white fabric for my backdrops. I make a lot of beautiful cakes and would love to take pictures of it with a nice clean background.

Or if anyone has any other suggestions for a nice backdrop please let me know! I tried doing the foam core tri boards but it just didn't work for me. 

I appreciate any help. Thank you! 

8 replies
wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 4:50am
post #2 of 9

I would suggest heading to JoAnn's and picking up a nice off-white (or cream) piece of linen. A linen tablecloth will also work. It will have a little bit of texture, there will be a little bit of contrast if you're shooting a white cake. I would also suggest trying to find a square of weathered wood. Between that and the linen you can have a good-looking base or tabletop (the wood) and a good looking wall (the cloth) to create a 90 degree angle so you can shoot straight from the side. And you can swap them up if you like (wood "wall," linen tabletop).

For the wood, we have a recycle yard in my town for construction and yard materials. I was able to pick up a 3x3 piece of old weathered fence. It's one of my favorite background. If you scroll down my instafeed it's behind the one with the eggs, the carrot/asparagus salad and the noodles . But if you have any place around that has reclaimed construction materials that's a good place to look.

I do food photography on the side so I'm kind of passionate about this sort of thing. :)

dream_cakes15 Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 9:06am
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for your helpful advice! Unfortunately we don't have a Joanne's here. I was thinking about buying from their online store but I'm just worried about not being able see what it looks like beforehand and then having the trouble of returning. 

I really like your pictures! Hopefully I'll luck out and find some nice wood like you!:) @wntr

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 9

I use white and black foam core board pieces tapped together. Super cheap and effective. Walmart also sells fabric; about 3.99/yd and up . I was able to go pick up 1/2 yards of fabrics that I liked to put over my boards and paid about 10 bucks for 7 prints and solids. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 9

Hi dream_cakes15,  Since I do not know where you live, I will not use store names, but anyone that sells fabric by the yard will probably have something suitable for a backdrop.  And, as wntrdove said, table clothes make fine back drops and are large enough to cover your base, as well as the wall behind the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 9

Go to most any office supplies or craft store and buy a tri-fold presentation board.  Like this one :  https://www.staplesadvantage.com/shop/StplShowItem?catalogId=4&item_id=104829934&langId=-1¤tSKUNbr=PAC3862&storeId=10101&itemType=2&addWE1ToCart=true&documentID=8ab58220233147d963f67e50e73c962453db2c76

Since they fold up, they are easy to store, and don't wrinkle like fabric.  They also come in more colors than just black and white.  Generally less than $20.

dream_cakes15 Posted 1 May 2017 , 5:04am
post #7 of 9

Hi guys! Im sorry for the late response. For some reason I wasn't able to get through to my account. Every now and then I have issues with with trying to login:(

Well I guess I'm just gonna have to give the tri fold board another try since everyone says it's what works best for them, and I see how nice it looks in everyone's pics:) Every time I tried it, I would get lots of shadows even when I place the board in the window of my home where I have the best natural lighting, and would have to photoshop it out (which would be a pain). 

Thank you all so very much for your help I really appreciate it!!!<3

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2017 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 9

I suspect the issue is placing your backdrop in the window.  Try placing it across the room to decrease shadows.

dream_cakes15 Posted 1 May 2017 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 9

Ahh got it!!! Gonna give it a try right now! Thank you so much!!! @leah_

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%