Cake Wars Recipe

Baking By yste Updated 12 Apr 2017 , 2:57pm by kaylawebb

yste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yste Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 11:27am
post #1 of 8

This recipe from the winner of cake wars has a very great review from the judges so i checked the website of cake wars and look for that recipe. Everything looks fine until i noticed that the chocolate filling has 4 whole eggs and never mention about heating or cooking it. What?!!?? Is that possible & safe? Or maybe they only forgot to mention it. Here is the link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bourbon-triple-chocolate-cake

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 8

it is definitely possible and it looks like that is the way they intended the recipe to go -- uncooked -- is it safe is another question -- 

put it this way i would never sell a cake made with raw uncooked eggs knowing what i know now -- even though if you get pasteurized eggs it is said to be safe -- still i myself would avoid that little bit of  potential drama -- kwim -- just the thought of explaining myself to the health department is enough of a caution pour moi --

but i have certainly eaten raw and half cooked eggs with varying results -- i have eaten tons of cookie dough with no problem -- if i even think about a sunnyside egg with a runny yolk i get cramps -- however i have had many smoothies with a raw egg incorporated and no ill results although haven't had one in years and the whole cramp thing permanently perfectly dissuades me :)

so there it is there -- you could make a cooked chocolate pastry cream if you want to -- but you'd have to make it up -- i don't know how it would do with all the whipping

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 8

this recipe is taking no hostages -- wow -- summa cum laude in the chocolate department -- 

yste Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you very much, thats very informative. How about the shelf life? How long do you think it will last at room temperature?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2017 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 8

i would hold it in the fridge and just let it warm up to room temp to serve -- and it will come to room temp fast as it is served -- y'know plate it ten or fifteen minutes before you want to eat -- no problemo --

the thought of that filling is making my mouth water even now -- aghhh :)

yste Posted 9 Apr 2017 , 1:44am
post #6 of 8

The judges love the cake. I  will try it soon and hoping  thats the exact recipe they serve to the judges.

TheCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeDude Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 8

Hey, thats my recipe! :)

Full disclosure, it was a modification of a chocolate mousse recipe I found online and loved. The raw egg thing was weird to me at first as well, and you may reconsider if it's for a client, but... It's just so damn gooood! Also you do have to beat it in the mixer for a solid 20 minutes on med speed, so it does build up a bit of heat. (Hey, in my mind that makes it safe enough to eat by the bowlful!)

It is absolutely delicious, just make sure you follow the incorporation method to a T. And it does store well in the fridge, just gets rather solid.

Thanks for trying it out!  :)

kaylawebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawebb Posted 12 Apr 2017 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 8

really? that's your recipe? youre so talented. ive tried so hard yet still couldn't make a perfect one :(

though i've just found a useful site for spanish to english translation! it really worth checking out!

Quote by @TheCakeDude on 6 minutes ago

Hey, thats my recipe! :)

Full disclosure, it was a modification of a chocolate mousse recipe I found online and loved. The raw egg thing was weird to me at first as well, and you may reconsider if it's for a client, but... It's just so damn gooood! Also you do have to beat it in the mixer for a solid 20 minutes on med speed, so it does build up a bit of heat. (Hey, in my mind that makes it safe enough to eat by the bowlful!)

It is absolutely delicious, just make sure you follow the incorporation method to a T. And it does store well in the fridge, just gets rather solid.

Thanks for trying it out!  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%