Color Dust On Frosting Sheets?

Decorating By Ariel3498 Updated 6 Apr 2017 , 1:19pm by icingimages

Ariel3498 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariel3498 Posted 1 Apr 2017 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 5

Can I cover an edible frosting sheet with color dust? I want to frost a cake with chocolate icing but the outer part of the cake needs to be gray. (The person who it's for does not like white chocolate or fondant.) I was wondering if I could cover the cake with white sugar sheets and then color the frosting sheet with edible gray dust. I've never used frosting sheets before and it seems that they melt into the icing, is that right? If so, would that make it impossible to color the cake with dust? How would it affect the color?

4 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 5 Apr 2017 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, I am not sure if I am following you well.  Airbrush would be the best way to color the sheet if you are not printing on it. You will need to put something on that will allow the dust to adhere to it.  Are you printing on it too? If you are the dust if it is resting on it and not stuck to it will lay on top like sprinkles.  But if you add something to the sheet to make it stick it can ruin the image unless you use crisco!

i hope this helps, I was a bit confused! 

Ariel3498 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariel3498 Posted 5 Apr 2017 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the reply! No I'm not printing on them. The outside layer of the cake needs to be a matte gray. When I looked up prices, it seemed to be cheaper for me to buy a small package of white frosting sheets and some gray color dust rather than gray sheets (the only place I could find gray frosting sheets were pretty expensive). Since I don't think I can turn brown chocolate icing gray, I wanted to know if I could use crisco to adhere color dust on top of a white frosting sheet to cover the brown color of chocolate icing. I just don't know if this would work.

Adriatix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adriatix Posted 6 Apr 2017 , 6:58am
post #4 of 5

We are on the way of developing edible frosting sheet technology on chocolate icing. Is this what you are looking for?

Something like this

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 6 Apr 2017 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 5

Ariel, Crisco would work just fine for what you are trying to do. Use a paper towel or a paint brush to apply a very thin coat.  It will make it a bit shiny as well.

Adriatix, There is already frosting sheets that work on chocolate.  Icing Images offers transfer sheets as well as their premium brand icing sheet works well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%