Has Anyone Ever Used Chromacake Colouring Powder Before?

Decorating By spanner4444 Updated 31 Mar 2017 , 7:32pm by maybenot

spanner4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spanner4444 Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 1:42am
post #1 of 4

I have been gifted a variety of Chromacake colouring powders. They look great, and the website certainly talks them up.

I have both metallic and fat-soluble colours, but I've never used a powder to colour. I usually use gels, but apparently these can give brighter colour with less effect on the texture of the substance i.e. buttercream.

I'm looking for advice, but also some inspiration!

Thanks!

3 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 4:07am
post #2 of 4

I just stuck it into a search engine, there's some videos on YouTube coloring BC with them, Macarons, etc. They look nice and rich! I don't have any personal experience with the brand though

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 4:16am
post #3 of 4

I have used powdered colors with fondant and it was much easier than gel! Depends on the brand. It seems easier to dye a small piece of fondant then fold that into the larger piece-they usually darken a bit. 

Some powders are water activated so they work better to make a paste (a small amount with water) then stir into your BC.  But with yours being fat soluble I don't know if that's necessary, but again, just speaking to my own experience NOT with chroma. I just worried about finding chunks of color in my BC, hence the 'paste'. I wonder if they would color chocolate as well. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 31 Mar 2017 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 4

US food producers need to be aware that these colors/colours are likely NOT compliant with FDA regulations, as they are made in Australia, where rules regarding color additives are different. 
Because these products use color additives other than those certified by the FDA, these products may not be considered edible in the US.  They could probably be used like non-toxic products--only on items that will be removed and definitely not eaten.

I don't have the time to go through all of the products, but a quick reference would be their black, made with E151[Brilliant Black], which is a banned additive in both the US and Canada.  I suspect that there are many others, particularly reds, pinks, browns, and yellows with the same issue.

In order to make food for public consumption in the US, all products used must be FDA compliant.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm481466.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%